Chern-Simons form of the Chern character

In summary, there is a missing factor of 2 in the first term on the RHS of the given equation, which can be resolved by including it in the expression. This factor is necessary to account for the orderings of the Lie algebra elements in the trace. Keep up the good work and don't let these small discrepancies discourage you.
sgd37
So I'm working my way through Nakahara Geometry Topology and Physics. In exercise 11.4 of section 11.5.2 I'm tasked to show

[tex]\text{tr}[\epsilon^{ijkl}\mathcal{F}_{ij}\mathcal{F}_{kl}]=\partial_{i}[2\epsilon^{ijkl}\text{tr}(\mathcal{A}_j\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l+\frac{2}{3}\mathcal{A}_j\mathcal{A}_k\mathcal{A}_l)][/tex]

where the field strength is lie algebra valued
[tex] \mathcal{F}_{ij}=\partial_{i}\mathcal{A}_j-\partial_{j}\mathcal{A}_i+[\mathcal{A}_i,\mathcal{A}_j] [/tex]

this should be a straightforward bit of tensor algebra but I'm getting a factor of 2 discrepancy in the first term on the RHS

[tex]2\epsilon^{ijkl}\partial_{i}\text{tr}(\mathcal{A}_j\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l)=2\epsilon^{ijkl}\text{tr}(\partial_{i}\mathcal{A}_j\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l)[/tex]

whereas on the LHS

[tex]\epsilon^{ijkl}(\partial_{i}\mathcal{A}_j-\partial_{j}\mathcal{A}_i+[\mathcal{A}_i,\mathcal{A}_j])(\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l-\partial_{l}\mathcal{A}_k+[\mathcal{A}_k,\mathcal{A}_l])=\epsilon^{ijkl}4(\partial_{i}\mathcal{A}_j+\mathcal{A}_i\mathcal{A}_j)(\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l+\mathcal{A}_k\mathcal{A}_l)=4\partial_{i}\mathcal{A}_j\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l+\ldots[/tex]

what am I missing it's driving me crazy

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
for bringing this to our attention. I understand how frustrating it can be when working through a problem and encountering discrepancies. After reviewing the equations and calculations, it appears that the discrepancy is due to a missing factor of 2 in the first term on the RHS. The correct expression should be:

\partial_{i}[4\epsilon^{ijkl}\text{tr}(\mathcal{A}_j\partial_{k}\mathcal{A}_l+\frac{2}{3}\mathcal{A}_j\mathcal{A}_k\mathcal{A}_l)]

This factor of 2 is necessary to account for the two possible orderings of the Lie algebra elements in the trace. I hope this helps resolve the issue and allows you to continue with your work. Keep up the good work and don't let these small discrepancies discourage you. Science is all about trial and error and finding the right solutions. Good luck!

Related to Chern-Simons form of the Chern character

1. What is the Chern-Simons form of the Chern character?

The Chern-Simons form of the Chern character is a mathematical concept used in differential geometry and topology. It is a special type of differential form that is defined on a complex vector bundle over a manifold. It is closely related to the Chern character, which is a topological invariant that measures the curvature of a vector bundle.

2. How is the Chern-Simons form of the Chern character calculated?

The Chern-Simons form is calculated by taking the exterior derivative of the Chern character and then integrating it over the manifold. Alternatively, it can be defined as the curvature of a connection on the determinant line bundle associated to the vector bundle. This is known as the transgression formula.

3. What are the main properties of the Chern-Simons form?

The Chern-Simons form is a closed, non-exact differential form that is invariant under smooth homotopies. It is also gauge invariant, meaning that it is invariant under gauge transformations of the underlying vector bundle. Furthermore, it is a characteristic class, meaning that it is independent of the choice of connection on the vector bundle.

4. What is the significance of the Chern-Simons form in mathematics?

The Chern-Simons form has a wide range of applications in mathematics, including in differential geometry, topology, and mathematical physics. It plays an important role in the study of characteristic classes, topological quantum field theories, and the geometry of moduli spaces. It has also been used in the development of mathematical models for topological phases of matter.

5. How has the Chern-Simons form been used in physics?

In physics, the Chern-Simons form has been used to describe the behavior of certain physical systems, such as in the study of topological insulators and superconductors. It has also been used in the construction of topological quantum field theories, which are important in theoretical physics and have connections to string theory. The Chern-Simons form has also been used in the study of knot invariants and topological quantum computing.