Child walking across frozen pond (friction involved)

• Thread starter aeromat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Pond
In summary, the problem involves a child standing on a frozen pond and needing to walk 12m to the shore without slipping. The coefficient of static friction between her boots and the ice is 0.05. The solution involves using Ff = u Fn and a kinematic equation to determine the minimum time required for the child to reach the shore without slipping, which is approximately 22 seconds.
aeromat

Homework Statement

A child stands on the surface of a frozen pond, 12m from the shore. If the coeff- of static friction between her boots and the ice is 0.05, determine the min. time req. for the child to walk to the shore without slipping.

Homework Equations

Ff = (u)(Fn)?

The Attempt at a Solution

In a FBD, I drew the Fn and Fg, and Ff acting against her movement. However, I am not sure whether she has an applied force or not; the question does say she is going to walk to the shore. I am not sure how I can manipulate the equations and end up getting time. We are only given displacement of 12m, and no other variable for a kinematic equation viewpoint.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are on the right track with Ff = u Fn.

Now considering this force, what is the kinematic equation that will relate distance, acceleration, and time? They did not tell you how much the child weighs. Maybe the mass cancels out. :smile:

Actually here I did it and this is what I got:
Further Work Done:
Net force in the x-component {Ff = -ma}
I split Ff into (mu)(m)(g) = -m(a) <-- canceled out the m's
(0.05)(9.81) = -a
a = -0.50m/s^2

Used this a, d, and assuming V1 is 0 to solve for t using a kinematics equation.
d = V1(t) + 1/2(a)(t)^2
t = 4 root 3, or roughly 22s.

Have I done it right? There is no answer at the back for this one.

Related to Child walking across frozen pond (friction involved)

1. How does friction affect a child walking across a frozen pond?

Friction is a force that resists motion between two surfaces that are in contact. In the case of a child walking across a frozen pond, the friction between the child's feet and the ice will determine how easily they can move across the surface. If the friction is high, it will be more difficult for the child to walk, while low friction will make it easier to move.

2. How does the temperature of the ice affect the friction for a child walking?

The temperature of the ice can have a significant impact on the friction for a child walking across a frozen pond. As the temperature decreases, the ice becomes more rigid and the friction increases. This can make it more difficult for the child to walk, as their feet may have a harder time gripping the surface. On the other hand, warmer temperatures can cause the ice to melt slightly, reducing friction and making it easier to walk.

3. Is it safe for a child to walk across a frozen pond?

Walking across a frozen pond can be dangerous, especially for a child. It is important to first determine if the ice is thick enough to support the weight of a child. Factors such as temperature, thickness, and the presence of cracks or gaps can affect the safety of the ice. It is always best to err on the side of caution and avoid walking on a frozen pond unless it has been deemed safe by a professional.

4. What other factors besides friction should be considered when a child is walking across a frozen pond?

In addition to friction, there are several other factors to consider when a child is walking across a frozen pond. The thickness and quality of the ice, the child's weight and balance, and the presence of any obstacles or hazards on the surface are all important considerations. It is also important for the child to be properly dressed and supervised, and for them to have knowledge of ice safety precautions.

5. How can the friction of the ice be reduced to make it easier for a child to walk?

There are a few ways to reduce the friction of the ice, making it easier for a child to walk. One method is to add a layer of lubrication, such as water or snow, on top of the ice. This can reduce the contact between the child's feet and the ice, resulting in less friction. Another option is to use special ice cleats or shoes with grip-enhancing soles to increase traction and reduce the effects of friction. It is important to note that these methods may not always be safe or effective, and it is best to consult a professional before attempting to modify the surface of a frozen pond.