Childhood memories not what they used to be

• Thread starter Evo
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Memories
In summary: We used to buy them in bulk at the commissary, then my grandmother would kill them and butcher them. :eek: We'd have a big pot of boiling water, and wash the chickens, then pluck them, and cut them up into pieces, and render their fat. We'd have this big pot of hot grease and throw the chickens in there, and turn them over and over until they were cooked through.Those were the good old days, eh? Hopefully, our electrical grids and processed food industries won't suddenly cease functioning, because if they do we're in deep trouble. How about popcorn cooked on the stove? I remember *lots* of burned bits and old
Alfi said:
Aw ... you made me cry.
( thanks )
I haven't thought about Mom's Mom for awhile.
THAT memory is 50 years old. Big glass and a shot glass* ... mix it up, roll it out, cut em out and deep fry em. add some sifted sugar ... Ymmmm
The bits in the middle were not wasted .. cook em up .. we called them Doughnut holes.
I called them the shot spots. ?? mom was not impressed with that one. ?
hmmm - Tim bits ?

* ... oh she hated to use it ( grandpa liked his drink ) ... but it was the perfect size ... lol

good memories ... the smell, the feel of rolling the dough, the first introduction to a production line cooking effort, the whole family quality control testing.
yummm . hehehe

Talking to Mom while reading this. She says my memories are the same as her's.
We both remember a particular day ... Nice.

Sadly, the doughnut making ended with granny. but thanks for the memory recall.
I am glad I brought back some happy memories.

Unfortunately, homemade doughnuts were not a tradition I did for my kids. :frown: It was one of the things I always planned to do "when I had time". I didn't have a deep fryer like my mom. Something that got a lot of use when I was little, doughnuts, french fries, corn dogs. It's something I regret.

Physics news on Phys.org
You haven't even begun to cook until you can make your own butter from shaking the cream from fresh milk in a jar.

When I was a kid, my mother didn't have a deep-fryer. She used a cast-iron dutch oven on the stove-top for making donuts and deep-fried chicken/seafood, etc. When she was done, she'd keep an eye on the fat until the temperature moderated, then strain it though a screen and refrigerate it and save it for other uses. Lard was not really expensive back then, but when you've grown up in a depression, you do everything you can to conserve.

I think we made donut holes rather than donuts - I think in the scouts. All I can remember is balls of dough in hot oil.

I do remember enjoying cleaning the cake mixing bowl before washing it. With fresh eggs from our chickens, we didn't have to worry about Salmonela or other bacteria that seem now prevalent from industrial farms. We also didn't need to use antibiotics with our fowl.

My mom also made great lemon and chocolate meringue pies. I used to help make the crust and the meringue.