China's reaction to the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize

• News
  • Thread starter mugaliens
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reaction
In summary, the conversation is discussing China's reaction to jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo being named the recipient of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize. One person believes it is similar to North Korea's reaction, while another disagrees and thinks it highlights the need for reform in China's government. The conversation also briefly touches on a poll about China's reaction, with some participants believing it to be biased.

What do you think of China's reaction to Liu winning the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize?

• It's wrong, and highlights a need for reform.

Votes: 9 81.8%
  • Nothing wrong with it. Different country, different rules.

Votes: 2 18.2%
  • Don't know/care.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
mugaliens
Does anyone else here think China's reaction to jailed dissident Liu Xiaobo's being named the recipient of the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize appears an awful lot like what we might expect from N. Korea?

I mean, seriously! Here in the U.S. we don't jail dissidents, so that fact alone is laughable. I find their reaction to Liu's winning the prize for his long-term peaceful efforts to help improve his country's government just absurd. If anything, China's reaction is bona-fide evidence of the reasons why China government is in serious need of improvement, as well as why Liu won the prize in the first place.

Agree? Disagree?

- Mugs

Physics news on Phys.org
I chose "Nothing wrong with it. Different country, different rules. ".

For "It's wrong, and highlights a need for reform.", we are just dreaming. Even if there can be a such reform, the consequences can be quite ugly.

I hate biased polls.

drankin said:
I hate biased polls.

What do you mean "biased?" It's about as unbiased as polls can get.

Not so much biased but the answers are loaded.

If you think nothing is wrong with it because the US should be more like China there is no answer available for you

Pengwuino said:
Not so much biased but the answers are loaded.

I just figured a step further, if the questions are loaded the poll is biased.

Tell you what - let's please stick with the OP and let us know how you feel about China's reaction rather than what you think about the poll.

Thanks.

mugaliens said:
Tell you what - let's please stick with the OP and let us know how you feel about China's reaction rather than what you think about the poll.

Thanks.

But the poll is about China's reaction. It's part of the OP.

Oops! I see this is a duplicate thread. Feel free to merge with the other one, if you can retain the poll.

Related to China's reaction to the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize

1. What was China's initial reaction to the 2010 Nobel Peace Prize being awarded to Liu Xiaobo?

China's initial reaction was one of strong criticism and condemnation. The Chinese government called the decision to award Liu Xiaobo the Nobel Peace Prize a "blasphemy" and a "political farce". They also accused the Nobel Committee of interfering in China's internal affairs.

2. Did China boycott the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in 2010?

Yes, China chose to boycott the Nobel Peace Prize ceremony in Oslo, Norway. They also pressured other countries to not attend or to send lower-level representatives.

3. What actions did China take against Norway after the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Liu Xiaobo?

After the Nobel Peace Prize was awarded to Liu Xiaobo, China took several actions against Norway, including suspending high-level political meetings, cancelling trade talks, and restricting imports of Norwegian salmon. They also imposed travel restrictions on Norwegian citizens and limited the number of Chinese tourists to Norway.

4. How did the rest of the world respond to China's reaction to the Nobel Peace Prize?

The rest of the world had mixed reactions to China's response. Some countries, including the United States, condemned China's actions and called for the release of Liu Xiaobo. Others, such as Russia and Cuba, expressed support for China's stance. Many human rights organizations and activists also spoke out against China's treatment of Liu Xiaobo and its interference in the Nobel Peace Prize.

5. Has China's stance towards the Nobel Peace Prize changed in recent years?

In recent years, China's stance towards the Nobel Peace Prize has not significantly changed. Liu Xiaobo's death in 2017 sparked renewed discussions about his legacy and the Chinese government's treatment of him. However, China continues to reject the Nobel Peace Prize and its recipients, and the government has not shown any signs of softening their stance.