Chirping Bat and Distance to Moth - Sound Waves

In summary, the bat emits a chirp of frequency 67 kHz while hunting for moths. It then listens for the echo and if it returns just after the chirp is finished, the bat is approximately 3.43 x e-2 cm away from the moth. This calculation is based on the speed of sound in air at 343 m/s and the time for the roundtrip echo being 1.0 ms. The frequency does not significantly affect the calculation.
dvolpe

Homework Statement

A bat emits a chirping sounds of frequency 67 kHz while hunting for moths to eat. Suppose the bat emits a chirp that lasts for 1.00 ms adn then is silent while it listens for the echo. If the beginning of the echo returns just after the outgoing chirp is finished, how close to the moth is the bat. Assume it is a cool night with a temperature of 10.0 degrees celsius. (Hint: is the change in distance between the two significant during the 2.0 ms?)

Homework Equations

d=v*t

The Attempt at a Solution

With such a short time interval, I do not see where the frequency matters. Therefore, used d = v*t where v = speed of sound at 343 m/s and the t = 1.0 ms (1/2 the time for the roundtrip echo). d = 34300 cm/s * 1.0 x e-6 s = 3.43 x e-2 cm

Is is this simplistic? Help, Please!

Physics news on Phys.org
Lookup 'speed of sound in air'

The speed of sound in air is 343 m/s per my book and I put that in my information above, so I do not understand your information.

Apologies

Seems good, though the time taken for both trips is 1ms(as I understand from the problem), so t is half that.

Your solution is correct. The frequency of the bat's chirping does not affect the calculation of the distance to the moth. The speed of sound is the key factor in determining the distance. However, the temperature can affect the speed of sound, so it is important to consider it when calculating the distance. Overall, your approach is correct and your solution is valid.

Related to Chirping Bat and Distance to Moth - Sound Waves

1. What is the Chirping Bat and Distance to Moth experiment?

The Chirping Bat and Distance to Moth experiment is a scientific study that explores the use of sound waves by bats to locate and capture prey, specifically moths. This experiment aims to understand the mechanics of echolocation and how bats are able to accurately determine the distance to their prey based on sound.

2. How do bats use sound waves to locate their prey?

Bats emit high-frequency sound waves from their mouths or noses and then listen for the echoes that bounce back off objects in their surroundings. The time it takes for the echo to return to the bat gives them information about the distance and location of objects, including their prey.

3. Why do bats chirp at a higher frequency when they are closer to their prey?

As the bat approaches its prey, it increases the frequency of its chirps. This is because the higher frequency sound waves have shorter wavelengths, allowing the bat to get more detailed information about the object's location and distance. This helps the bat to accurately capture its prey in the dark.

4. How does the distance between the bat and the moth affect the sound waves?

The distance between the bat and the moth affects the intensity of the sound waves. As the bat gets closer to its prey, the intensity of the sound waves increases, allowing the bat to get a more detailed and accurate picture of the moth's location and distance. This helps the bat to successfully capture its prey.

5. What can we learn from the Chirping Bat and Distance to Moth experiment?

This experiment helps us to understand the complex process of echolocation used by bats and how they are able to navigate and hunt in the dark. It also provides insight into the use of sound waves as a means of communication and locating objects in nature. This knowledge can be applied to various fields, including biology, acoustics, and technology.