Choirgirl1987 's question at Yahoo Answers (Jordan block)

• MHB
  • Thread starter Fernando Revilla
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Block
In summary, the Jordan Canonical form of -J(lambda) is a block diagonal matrix with Jordan blocks of the form shown above, with the eigenvalues of -J(lambda) on the diagonal. For further clarification, you can refer to the link provided in the question or post in the Linear and Abstract Algebra section.
Fernando Revilla
Gold Member
MHB
Here is the question:

I'm just not sure what -J(lambda) looks like as a matrix. Don't need the full answer, just what would -J(lambda) be...

Here is a link to the question:

What is the Jordan Canonical form of -J(lambda)? - Yahoo! Answers

I have posted a link there to this topic so the OP can find my response.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Hello choirgirl1987,

A Jordan block $J(\lambda)$ is a matrix of the form:

$$J(\lambda)=\begin{bmatrix} \lambda & 1 & 0 &\ldots & 0 & 0 & 0\\ 0 & \lambda & 1 &\ldots & 0&0&0 \\0 & 0 & \lambda &\ldots & 0&0&0 \\\vdots&&&&&&\vdots \\ 0 &0 & 0 &\ldots & \lambda & 1&0\\0 &0 &0 &\ldots &0&\lambda & 1\\0 & 0 &0&\ldots & 0&0&\lambda\end{bmatrix}$$ and a Jordan normal form is a block diagonal matrix of de form $$J=\begin{bmatrix} J(\lambda_1) & 0 & \ldots & 0\\ 0 & J(\lambda_2) & \ldots & 0 \\ \vdots&&&\vdots \\ 0 & 0 &\ldots & J(\lambda_p)\end{bmatrix}$$If you have further questions, you can post them in the Linear and Abstract Algebra section.

Related to Choirgirl1987 's question at Yahoo Answers (Jordan block)

1. What is "Choirgirl1987" referring to in their question about "Jordan block" on Yahoo Answers?

Choirgirl1987 is most likely referring to the user "Jordan block" on Yahoo Answers who asked a question about the topic of Jordan blocks.

2. What is a Jordan block?

A Jordan block is a type of square matrix used in linear algebra that has a specific form and properties. It is named after mathematician Camille Jordan.

3. What is the significance of Jordan blocks in linear algebra?

Jordan blocks are important tools in the study of linear algebra as they help to understand the properties and behavior of matrices, particularly when finding eigenvalues and eigenvectors.

4. Is there a specific application or use of Jordan blocks in science or engineering?

Yes, Jordan blocks have various applications in fields such as quantum mechanics, signal processing, and differential equations.

5. Are there any other related concepts or theories to Jordan blocks that I should be familiar with?

Some related concepts to Jordan blocks include Jordan canonical form, Jordan decomposition, and Jordan normal form. It is also important to have a strong understanding of linear algebra and matrix operations in order to fully grasp the concept of Jordan blocks.