Choose First: Theoretical Mechanics I or Methods of Theoretical Physics?

• Thread starter Shinaolord
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Class
In summary, the conversation discusses the choice between taking Theoretical Mechanics I and Methods of Theoretical Physics first. The former covers Newtonian mechanics, oscillations, and other topics, while the latter focuses on techniques and methods used in advanced physics. The individual expressing their opinions suggests taking Theoretical Mechanics I first, as it complements well with another class they are taking. They also mention that PDEs are not heavily used in mechanics, so taking an intro to PDEs or numerical solutions to PDEs in the spring may be a good option.
Shinaolord
So, I have to choose between these two, on which to take first.

Here are descriptions:

Theoretical Mechanics I
An intermediate study of mechanics, including the study of Newtonian mechanics of a single particle and multiple-particle systems, oscillations, motion in noninertial reference frames, gravitation and central-force motion, and Lagrangian mechanics.
Credits: 3.0
Lec-Rec-Lab: (3-0-0)
Semesters Offered: Fall
Pre-Requisite(s): (PH 2200 or PH 2260) and (MA 3520 or MA 3521 or MA 3530 or MA 3560)[\quote]Or, this one, which I think would help out for theoretical mechanics.
Methods of Theoretical Physics
Introduction to the techniques and methods frequently encountered in advanced physics with a particular emphasis on application to physical problems. Topics include, but are not limited to, complex numbers, vector analysis, partial differential equations, and integral transforms.
Credits: 3.0
Lec-Rec-Lab: (3-0-0)
Semesters Offered: Fall
Pre-Requisite(s): MA 3160 and (MA 3520 or MA 3521 or MA 3530 or MA 3560)
[\quote]

So, any opinions on which first?

Physics news on Phys.org
I took these classes together and it was perfect. If I had to pick 1 it would be mechanics. The math methods class can be delayed a bit... Though I would suggest it before taking E&M.

Alright, I don't have to take them technically until next year, and this year I'm taking Thermo and stat mechanics in the spring. So PDEs aren't used heavily in theo mech.? Because I'm also planning on taking an intro to either PDEs or numerical solutions to PDEs in the spring as well. Can't decide between these two as well.

Nope PDE's shouldn't be used much at all in mechanics. Though you will see a lot of ODE's and maybe some Fourier series. I took PDE's alongside E&M and it complimented quite nicely.

Hmm alright, well between the two I think numerical solving would be more helpful. Any thoughts?

Related to Choose First: Theoretical Mechanics I or Methods of Theoretical Physics?

1. What is the difference between Theoretical Mechanics I and Methods of Theoretical Physics?

Theoretical Mechanics I is a branch of physics that deals with the study of motion and forces in physical systems using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion and Lagrangian mechanics. Methods of Theoretical Physics, on the other hand, encompasses a broader range of topics including quantum mechanics, statistical mechanics, and electromagnetism.

2. Which course is more suitable for students with a strong background in mathematics?

Both courses require a solid foundation in mathematics, but Theoretical Mechanics I may be more suitable for students with a strong background in calculus and differential equations, as these concepts are used extensively in the study of motion and forces. Methods of Theoretical Physics, on the other hand, may require a stronger understanding of linear algebra and complex analysis.

3. Are there any prerequisites for these courses?

Typically, students are expected to have completed introductory courses in calculus, classical mechanics, and electromagnetism before taking either Theoretical Mechanics I or Methods of Theoretical Physics. Some universities may also require a course in linear algebra or differential equations.

4. What career paths can I pursue with a degree in Theoretical Mechanics or Methods of Theoretical Physics?

Both courses provide a strong foundation in theoretical physics and mathematics, making graduates well-equipped for careers in research and academia. However, graduates may also find opportunities in industries such as aerospace, engineering, and data analysis, where strong mathematical and analytical skills are valued.

5. Will these courses cover practical applications or focus solely on theory?

While the emphasis of these courses is on theoretical concepts and mathematical techniques, there may also be opportunities to apply these theories to real-world problems and scenarios. In Theoretical Mechanics I, for example, students may be tasked with solving problems related to motion and forces in engineering or physics. In Methods of Theoretical Physics, students may explore applications in quantum mechanics and statistical mechanics.