Choose the best answer on Magnetic Fields and Moving charges

In summary, the first conversation discusses a wire carrying a current in a uniform magnetic field and the direction of the magnetic field. The second conversation involves calculating the ratio of magnetic fields inside two solenoids with different properties. The correct answer for the first question is e) negative z-direction, and the correct answer for the second question is a) 105.
Physics Help!
1)A wire is carrying a current, i, in the positive y-direction. The wire is located in a uniform magnetic field, B, oriented in such a way that the magnetic force on the wire is maximized. The magnetic force acting on the wire, FB, is in the negative x direction. What is the direction of the magnetic field?
a) positive x-direction
b)negative x-direction
c)negative y-direction
d) positive z-direction
e) negative z-direction

I'm not really sure how the right hand rule 3 works for this but I just put my thumb in the direction of i and my fingers were curving downwards, so I pick e) but I'm not sure.

2. Two solenoids have the same length, but solenoid 1 has 15 times the number of turn, 1/9 the radius and 7 times the current of solednoid 2. Calculate the ratio of the magnetic field inside solenoid 1 to the magnetic field inside solenoid 2.
a) 105
b) 123
c) 144
d) 168
e) 197

I'm really not sure how to do this, I started by just plugging random numbers in for the equation B=(mu_naught*i)/(2pi*r)
I just plugged 2 for N, 3 for r, and 5 for i, and calculated the magnetic field for both and divided B of s2 by B of s1 and got 1.05E-3, I thought that that was right since I looked on the back of the book and the answer is in fact a) but I later noticed that I was using the equation for a toroid not a solenoid, since radius doesn't even affect the B of solenoids. I did the same thing with the equation B=(mu_naught*i)*(N/L) and (with L=15) got a number that wasn't on the choices, so I really don't know how to do this. Help please.

Physics news on Phys.org

Related to Choose the best answer on Magnetic Fields and Moving charges

1. What is a magnetic field?

A magnetic field is a region in space where a magnetic force can be detected. It is created by moving charges, such as electrons, and can also be induced by a magnetic material.

2. How do moving charges interact with magnetic fields?

Moving charges, such as electrons, have a property called electric charge. When these charges move, they create a magnetic field. The interaction between the moving charges and the magnetic field results in a force called the Lorentz force.

3. What is the right-hand rule and how is it used in relation to magnetic fields?

The right-hand rule is a way to determine the direction of the magnetic force acting on a moving charge in a magnetic field. It states that if you point your right thumb in the direction of the moving charge, and your fingers in the direction of the magnetic field, the direction your palm is facing is the direction of the magnetic force.

4. How are magnetic fields measured?

Magnetic fields are measured using a device called a magnetometer. This instrument can detect and measure the strength and direction of a magnetic field. The unit used to measure magnetic fields is called the Tesla.

5. What is the difference between a permanent magnet and an electromagnet?

A permanent magnet is a material that has its own magnetic field and does not require an external source of energy to maintain it. An electromagnet, on the other hand, is created by passing an electric current through a wire, creating a temporary magnetic field. The strength and direction of an electromagnet can be controlled by adjusting the amount and direction of the electric current.

Back