Choosing Engineering: Personal Motivations and Paths to Success

• Thread starter renjiLambrusc
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Engineer
In summary, the conversation revolves around the topic of becoming an engineer and the different motivations behind that decision. Some people knew they wanted to be engineers since they were young, while others discovered their passion during university. The forum participants mainly consist of mechanical engineers, but there is also a discussion on the choice between engineering and theoretical physics. The original poster expresses their gratitude for hearing from experienced individuals in the field and how it helps them make decisions about their future.
renjiLambrusc
have any of you become engineers just because that just happened to be the most practical choice your first undergrad year?

i am just wondering if most engineers became so because they always wanted to since they could remember versus the ones who decided they wanted to be engineers during university.

i noticed this forum is mainly mechanical engineers sharing info. i appreciate anything you all could share on your choices of becoming physicists or engineers.

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've known I was going to be an engineer since before I knew what an engineer was. I originally wanted to be an aerospace engineer (and started off as one in college) but ended up as a mechanical engineer.

thanks,
i am glad to hear from people with experience working in this field about the choices they made however long ago to become an engineer and how they feel about that choice today.
it kind of helps me find my place and see if i am making my decisions about my future correctly.

i never thought i could complete a degree in engineering but after these 2 years of school i feel like it is what i want to do.

thanks, i should have searched thoroughly. i think this thread will help me a lot.

Related to Choosing Engineering: Personal Motivations and Paths to Success

1. Why did you choose to become an engineer?

I have always been fascinated by how things work and how they can be improved. Engineering allows me to use my problem-solving skills to create innovative solutions that can make a positive impact on society.

2. What qualities make a good engineer?

A good engineer should have strong analytical and critical thinking skills, attention to detail, and the ability to work well under pressure. It is also important to have good communication and teamwork skills, as engineering projects often require collaboration with others.

3. What is the most challenging aspect of being an engineer?

The most challenging aspect of being an engineer is finding the balance between innovation and practicality. Engineering involves constantly pushing boundaries and coming up with new ideas, but it also requires considering the feasibility and potential limitations of those ideas.

4. What advice would you give to someone considering a career in engineering?

I would advise them to be curious, open-minded, and willing to learn. Engineering is a dynamic field, and there will always be new technologies and methods to explore. It is also important to develop strong problem-solving and critical thinking skills, as they are essential for success in this field.

5. How does engineering contribute to society?

Engineering plays a vital role in society by designing and creating the infrastructure and technology that we rely on every day. From transportation systems to healthcare devices, engineering has a significant impact on improving our quality of life and making the world a better place.

Back