Choosing Limits of Integration for Velocity Calculation

In summary, the conversation is discussing how to integrate the acceleration function to find the velocity at a given time. The correct formula is v_0-c*(t-t_1)^2/2 and the limits of integration should be from t_1 to t. The importance of using different variable names for the dummy variable and in the limits of integration is also highlighted.
fmiren
Homework Statement
At time t=0 , a car moving along the + x -axis passes through x=0 with a constant velocity of magnitude v0 . At some time later, t[SUB]1[/SUB] , it starts to slow down. The acceleration of the car as a function of time is given by:

a(t)= 0 0≤t≤t[SUB]1[/SUB]
-c(t−t1) t[SUB]1[/SUB]<t[SUB]2[/SUB]

where c is a positive constants in SI units, and t[SUB]1[/SUB]<t≤t[SUB]2[/SUB] is the given time interval for which the car is slowing down. Express your answer in terms of v_0 for v0 , t_1 for t1 , t_2 for t2 , and c as needed. What is v(t) , the velocity of the car as a function of time during the time interval t[SUB]1[/SUB]<t≤t[SUB]2[/SUB]?
Relevant Equations
Acceleration and velocity equations
To get the velocity I integrate the accelaeration function and get v_0-c*(t_2-t_1)^2/2 since I think these should be the boundaries of the definite integral. Bu the correct answer is v_0-c*(t-t_1)^2/2 and they integrate from t (upper limit) to t1 (lower limit).
Could you please help me to understand it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your formula for ##v(t)## does not depend on t. But velocity during the interval from ##t_1## to ##t_2## changes over time. So it must depend on t.

Suppose that ##t## is equal to ##t_1##. We know that at this time, ##v(t) = v_0##. What does your formula give as an answer?

If t = t1, and v(t) = v_0, then v_0-c(t-t_1)^2/2 = v_0 which means -c(t-t_1) should be 0? Am I right?

fmiren said:
If t = t1, and v(t) = v_0, then v_0-c(t-t_1)^2/2 = v_0 which means -c(t-t_1) should be 0? Am I right?
Except for the fact that your formula does not contain ##-c(t-t_1)##. Instead it contains ##-c(t_2-t_1)##.

Aa, sorry. Ok, I am trying to get it, But then how do I choose the limits of integral? I'm confused. If the problem says that t<t1<t2, I think the natural (which seems natural to me) is t2 and t1. This part confuses me.

fmiren said:
Aa, sorry. Ok, I am trying to get it, But then how do I choose the limits of integral? I'm confused. If the problem says that t<t1<t2, I think the natural (which seems natural to me) is t2 and t1. This part confuses me.
One thing to take care of before we get started is notation. We never want to evaluate an integral and use the same variable name for both the dummy variable inside the integral and as variable name in the limits of the integral.

Wrong:$$\int_{t_0}^{t} f(t)\ dt$$Right (change the variable name in the limit):$$\int_{t_0}^{t_\text{now}} f(t)\ dt$$Right (change the dummy variable name):$$\int_{t_0}^t f(x)\ dx$$The dummy variable name is irrelevant. It is just a placeholder. You are free to call it anything you like. Except that you should not re-use another variable name -- that's just begging for confusion.

Now then. How do you choose the limits of integration? You want to integrate the incremental changes in velocity so that you can figure out the total change in velocity. You know the velocity at ##t_1## and you want to know the velocity at ##t##. So you integrate from ##t_1## to ##t##.

Likes fmiren

Related to Choosing Limits of Integration for Velocity Calculation

What is meant by multiple stages of motion?

Multiple stages of motion refer to the concept of an object or system moving in different phases or steps. This can include changes in direction, speed, or type of motion.

What are the different types of motion involved in multiple stages of motion?

The different types of motion involved can vary depending on the specific situation, but some common examples include linear, circular, and projectile motion.

What factors can affect the stages of motion for an object?

The stages of motion for an object can be affected by various factors such as friction, air resistance, gravity, and external forces applied to the object.

How can multiple stages of motion be calculated or predicted?

Multiple stages of motion can be calculated or predicted using mathematical equations and principles such as Newton's laws of motion, kinematics, and dynamics.

What are some real-world examples of multiple stages of motion?

Real-world examples of multiple stages of motion include the motion of a roller coaster, a pendulum swinging, a car changing gears, and a ball being thrown into the air.