-- Choosing Major in Engineering

In summary, the person is seeking help in deciding between pursuing a mechanical engineering or industrial engineering major. They have been studying physics for five years and are looking for something new. Their teacher suggested mechanical engineering, but they are also interested in industrial engineering because they enjoy being in charge and overseeing operations. They are not sure which major to choose and are considering their strengths and future goals in government. They are looking for a quick decision and considering enrolling in a school with a larger selection of majors.
AustinTahir
Hey Guyz...
I Need a little help deciding the type of engineering major I Should Persue...
Lets limit our Discussion to two fields...
1. Mechanical Engineering ( From a Less Advanced University)
2. Industrial Engineering ( From a more advanced university).
Let me tell you first that physics is my favourite subject so far I'been studying it since last five years So not only i am very Good with it but also Kind of bored with it Repeating Same things Same formula etc. I want to learn new things So I took Suggesstion From my teacher who Suggessted me to go For Mech as it is a broad field and i would not have to struggle too much with it ( He is a physics professor So his decission is little favoured to wards physics) If i choose ME . I'LL be going in a les faculty oriented uni.
I know both IE and ME have Same Job Prospects, Salary etc... as i told I have also became a little bored with phy and its theoratical world I like being practical.
Nor I am going to Spent my whole life as an engineer ( Just 10 years) So where Should Go ?
ME or IE .
I need Help and need it Quick??

Physics news on Phys.org
AustinTahir said:
Nor I am going to Spent my whole life as an engineer ( Just 10 years)

It might be relevant to know what you will do afterwards?

Do both schools have the other engineering major? Normally an engineering school will have both (although the Industrial engineering major is less common). Go to the school that has both and just enroll in one or the other. You should be able to change majors within a year or so without any consequences. Both will rely on common core classes for the first year or possibly two years. In that time you will be better able to determine which engineering field you will like best (you may even discover other engineering fields or computer science that you like even more so).
However, I do suggest you attend the school with the large selection of majors, especially in your situation where you are not sure which one is best.

Y
CalcNerd said:
Do both schools have the other engineering major? Normally an engineering school will have both (although the Industrial engineering major is less common). Go to the school that has both and just enroll in one or the other. You should be able to change majors within a year or so without any consequences. Both will rely on common core classes for the first year or possibly two years. In that time you will be better able to determine which engineering field you will like best (you may even discover other engineering fields or computer science that you like even more so).
However, I do suggest you attend the school with the large selection of majors, especially in your situation where you are not sure which one is best.
Yes, The one which is Better one offers industrial engineering ( Although it offers Mechanical but I will not have a chance of it ).

The one which is a little Less ( which i don't like offers both courses).

Actually I like Being Incharge of others , and also like the work of IE's far more than ME, Overseeing day to day operations and Manufacturing Process is Quite easier than working on Complex Mechanical Design tirelessly day and night and still Getting Insulted by Managers of not Doing Well or maybe i think working in a industry with lots of people is more fun as compared to Working in Laboutory with machines in Isolation.

But what about my Strength which is Of course directing me to pursue ME.

:/

A
micromass said:
It might be relevant to know what you will do afterwards?

Actually I want to be a high rank Goverment official probably in federal law Agencenies but I need a engineering degree for background support Incase it didn't Go as Planned. Despite this I still want to Practice my First ten years as an engineer.

AustinTahir said:
Actually I want to be a high rank Goverment official probably in federal law Agencenies
There aren't many engineers in politics, not sure if that's because engineers make poor politicians/don't have the prerequisites skills or those who like engineering don't want to, some googling may be enlightening. If politics is your goal then studying law is probably your best bet, it's by far the most common background for politicians.

Related to -- Choosing Major in Engineering

1. What is the best major to choose in engineering?

The best major to choose in engineering depends on your personal interests and career goals. Some popular options include mechanical engineering, electrical engineering, and computer engineering.

2. Will I need to have a strong background in math and science for an engineering major?

Yes, a strong foundation in math and science is essential for success in an engineering major. You will be taking courses in calculus, physics, and other technical subjects, so it is important to have a solid understanding of these subjects.

3. Can I switch majors within the engineering field?

Yes, it is possible to switch majors within the engineering field. However, keep in mind that different engineering majors have different course requirements, so there may be some overlap or additional coursework needed if you switch majors.

4. Is it necessary to have prior experience or knowledge in engineering before choosing a major?

No, prior experience or knowledge in engineering is not necessary before choosing a major. Engineering programs are designed to teach you the necessary skills and knowledge for your chosen field, so it is not expected for students to have prior experience.

5. What career opportunities are available with an engineering major?

There are a wide range of career opportunities available with an engineering major, including roles in industries such as aerospace, automotive, construction, and technology. Some common job titles for engineering graduates include mechanical engineer, electrical engineer, and software engineer.