Choosing major program (undergrad)

In summary, you are considering a joint program in computer science and math, but are unsure about which will be your better focus. You are unsure about what sort of background is necessary for theoretical physics, but you lean towards math with a couple physics courses for pleasure.
Long_Island
Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum, and I apologize for the lengthy question. I would really appreciate it if anyone could take the time to read through and respond. I've been reading a lot of these posts on here, trying to figure out where to go with my studies, but none specifically address my situation.

Like many people on here, I'm stuck between math and physics. I do not want to double major in these two. I know that if I do not choose a focus now, I will have difficulty doing so later and will not be able to excel in the chosen field. I do not have an extensive background in either (weak HS calc and 1 year of okay HS physics), and while I am naturally good at both these fields, I know that I am not unusually brilliant and will have to work especially hard if I want to contribute. I have not had advanced classes or study in either, so I don't know specific topics I'm good at or interested in. I was struck by the abstraction and beauty of math, as well as the surprises of physics, particularly quantum theory.

Also, I am planning on a joint program in computer science: it really interests me, it is useful professionally in both math and physics, and it is a fairly solid career back-up if grad school in math/physics doesn't work out. My options are either computational physics BS/MS (math minor for 1 extra class) or computer science/math double major BS, maybe with a physics minor. A BS in Mathematical Physics with some assorted comp sci courses is possible, but I would like to avoid it, as it lacks focus and depth. The course loads would be about equal for all, my school is not particularly great at either math or physics (SUNY Buffalo), and research is available in both. I need to decided on a program by the next fall, and switching after that would be very difficult.

Would an undergraduate degree in mathematics (maybe with additional physics courses) allow me to study mathematical physics in graduate school, particularly within a physics department?
And what exactly does mathematical physics focus on, anyway?
How often do PhD mathematicians involve physics problems/theories in their work?
How separated at pure and applied math at the graduate and postdoc level?

Would computational physics restrict my graduate focus?
Would comp physics not be helpful in finding programming/comp sci jobs after college?
What physics disciplines focus most heavily on math theory and rigor?
What sort of base physics background is required for the more math-based theoretical physics area?
If I went the math/comp sci route, would it be possible to go back for a Master's in physics and apply to physics grad school?
Job prospects for a Math PhD vs. a Physics PhD (outside academia)?

I love math, especially the abstract beauty of it, but I also appreciate real-world knowledge of physics. I'm leaning towards math with a couple physics courses for pleasure, but I'm still very unsure. QFT seems to be something of potential interest, but I know very little about it, other than it is seems to cross both disciplines. Any other advice/suggestions/inspiration? Sorry if this long and wordy, but I would really appreciate the help.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Long_Island said:
I know that if I do not choose a focus now,

What is "now"? Are you a high school senior, college freshman, or what?

College freshman, transferring to a new school Fall 2010 as a sophomore, so that's when I need to my decision. I can postpone deciding until Spring if I have to.

FAQ: Choosing major program (undergrad)

What factors should I consider when choosing a major program?

When choosing a major program for your undergraduate studies, it is important to consider your interests, skills, career goals, and the job market demand for that particular field. You should also research the curriculum and opportunities for internships or hands-on experience in the program.

Do I have to choose a major right away?

No, you do not have to choose a major right away. Many universities allow students to explore different subjects and declare a major later in their undergraduate career. However, it is important to consider the prerequisites and requirements for your desired major to ensure you are on track to graduate on time.

Can I change my major?

Yes, you can change your major if you find that your current program is not the right fit for you. It is important to consult with your academic advisor and consider the potential impact on your graduation timeline and course requirements.

What if I am interested in multiple majors?

If you are interested in multiple majors, you may want to consider a double major or a minor in one of the subjects. However, be aware that this may require additional coursework and could potentially extend your time in college. You can also explore interdisciplinary programs that combine multiple subjects.

Is it better to choose a major based on job prospects or my passion?

This is a personal decision and there is no right answer. Some students prioritize job prospects and choose a major that aligns with a high-demand field. Others prioritize their passions and choose a major that they are truly interested in, which can lead to job satisfaction and success in the long run. It is important to find a balance between the two and consider your own goals and values.