Choosing the Right Ph.D. Group: Tips for Non-Academic Research Careers

In summary, the person is facing a dilemma of choosing between three Ph.D. offers, all of which they have experience working in and respect the advisors for. The main concern is which academic track is most reasonable for a career in non-academic research. They are working on wireless power transfer, FLIM, excitonics, integrated photonics, and electromagnetic and photonic metamaterials. They may have difficulty finding a job in these areas, but it is important to consider their interests and what they want to do in the long run.
dctyl3ee
I have a dilemma. I'm beginning a fellowship next week, and I have 3 Ph.D. offers for when it ends. I've worked in each group, and would have no issue continuing in any of them. I respect each advisor equally for different reasons. The main problem is each group requires a slightly different academic track. I have one week to decide. The only determining factor is which one is the most reasonable for a career in non-academic research. I'm working on wireless power transfer in one group. The other I'm working on FLIM, excitonics, and integrated photonics. The final offer is in electromagnetic and photonic metamaterials. Will I have any issues finding a job in any of these areas? I know it's probably not a question anyone else can answer, but I would really appreciate any advice or insight that anyone has to offer. Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you considered asking the advisors of each what the graduates of that group went on to do? Or perhaps it is on the group website or some such.

In all likelihood, you will be able to find work in any of these area when you finish. You don't need the probability of a job, bur in fact, you really only want one job. More than one is no help (since you probably cannot handle more than one full time job on an life-time basis), and a low probability does not mean there are no jobs, only that they are scarce.

The bigger factor, I think, is what do you want to do? Think hard on this, and go where your interest takes you.

Related to Choosing the Right Ph.D. Group: Tips for Non-Academic Research Careers

1. How do I know which Ph.D. group is right for me?

Choosing the right Ph.D. group for a non-academic research career requires careful consideration of your interests, skills, and goals. Start by researching different groups and their areas of expertise, as well as their track record of success and funding opportunities. You should also consider reaching out to current or former members of the group to gain insight into their experiences.

2. What qualities should I look for in a Ph.D. group for a non-academic research career?

When evaluating Ph.D. groups, look for those that have a strong emphasis on practical research skills, such as data analysis, project management, and communication. It is also important to consider the group's culture and whether it aligns with your work style and values. Additionally, you should look for groups with a diverse range of projects and collaborations to provide you with a well-rounded experience.

3. How can I make the most out of my Ph.D. group experience for a non-academic research career?

To make the most of your Ph.D. group experience, it is important to actively engage in the research projects and take advantage of any training and networking opportunities offered by the group. You should also prioritize developing strong relationships with your colleagues and mentors, as they can provide valuable support and guidance throughout your career.

4. Is it important to have a Ph.D. group that aligns with my career goals in non-academic research?

While it is not necessary to have a Ph.D. group that directly aligns with your specific career goals, it is important to choose a group that will provide you with relevant and transferable skills for a non-academic research career. Consider the types of projects the group works on and the skills you will gain, as well as any opportunities for internships or collaborations with industry partners.

5. How can I ensure a successful transition from a Ph.D. group to a non-academic research career?

To ensure a successful transition, it is important to actively communicate your career goals and interests with your Ph.D. advisor and other members of the group. This will allow them to provide guidance and support in finding opportunities that align with your goals. Additionally, take advantage of any career development resources offered by your university, such as workshops or networking events, to help you prepare for your transition into a non-academic research career.