Choosing Undergraduate Research Lab

In summary: Your Name]In summary, MSK, a sophomore with a major in microbiology, is seeking advice on which research lab to choose for their future goals of becoming a virologist. They have experience in a bacteriology lab but are now considering a virology lab and a chemical biology/bio-analytical chemistry lab. While the virology lab seems like the best fit for their long-term goals, they are also interested in the chemical biology lab. It is advised to follow their interests and choose the lab that aligns more closely with their goals. The fame of the PI and the specific undergraduate research focus may be considered, but they are not the only determining factors for graduate school admission.
bacte2013
Dear all,

I am a sophomore at one of respected public hresearch university; my major is a microbiology (and I am also considering double major in the chemistry). My future goal is to go to the graduate programs in medical microbiology/virology or chemical biology with focus on the virology; my academic goal is to study the signaling molecules and pathways between the viruses and host cells. During my freshman year, I did a research in the bacteriology lab that studies the mechanisms of bacterial/fungal bio-fuel production, but I realized that I am more into the medical microbiology and applications of chemistry to biological principles (hence the name chemical biology). So I had resigned from that lab after the end of this summer and got into two research labs that are focused on different fields.

The first lab is a virology lab that studies the genetic sequence and molecular evolution of viruses. The second lab is a chemical biology/bio-analytical chemistry lab that studies the cell signaling molecules involved in central dogma of biology (specifically the RNA) and development of methodology and instrumentation to study such signaling molecules. Both labs promised me that they will provide the independent research to me, and I believe the chemical biology lab has more independent researches (with various topics like bacterial genome, carbohydrate signals, etc.) that I can carry out after this semester. Since my goal is to become a virologist, it seems that the virology lab is right one for me. However, I am also immensely interested in the chemical biology lab since I am also interested in the cell signaling and I want to study the cell signaling systems in viruses (in future). Could you help me on deciding which research lab should I start my journey with? I do not know if the fame of PI and different undergraduate research (different from graduate programs; i.e. undergraduate research in chemistry for the graduate schools in microbiology) have impact when applying to the graduate schools. The virology lab is relatively new and the PI is an associate professor (relatively young). PI for the chemical biology lab is very famous and he is a full professor which some names in front of professor status.

I sincerely apologize for this very long post, and I am also sorry about the grammatical errors!
I look forward to your advice and suggestions!

MSK

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear MSK,

First of all, congratulations on your accomplishments and your passion for research in the field of microbiology and virology. It is great to see you taking on multiple research opportunities to explore different areas of interest and gain valuable experience.

In terms of your question about which research lab to choose, my advice would be to follow your interests and choose the lab that aligns more closely with your long-term goals. As you mentioned, your ultimate goal is to become a virologist and study the signaling molecules and pathways between viruses and host cells. Therefore, the virology lab seems like the best fit for you at this time.

However, that does not mean that you should completely disregard the chemical biology lab. If you have the capacity, it may be beneficial to continue working in both labs, as long as it does not compromise the quality of your work or your academic performance. This will allow you to gain a broader understanding of different research areas and may even provide opportunities for collaboration between the two labs.

In terms of the impact of the PI's fame and the specific focus of your undergraduate research on your graduate school applications, it is important to remember that graduate programs look at a combination of factors, including your research experience, academic performance, and letters of recommendation. While the reputation of the PI and the specific research focus may be considered, they are not the only determining factors for admission.

Ultimately, my advice is to choose the research lab that aligns with your interests and allows you to gain the most valuable experience. I wish you all the best in your research journey and future graduate studies.

Related to Choosing Undergraduate Research Lab

What are the benefits of participating in an undergraduate research lab?

Participating in an undergraduate research lab can provide valuable hands-on experience in your field of study. It allows you to work closely with faculty and graduate students, develop research skills, and potentially contribute to groundbreaking discoveries. Additionally, it can enhance your resume and make you a more competitive candidate for graduate programs or jobs in your field.

How do I choose the right undergraduate research lab for me?

The first step is to identify your research interests and goals. Then, research the labs available at your university or nearby institutions. Consider the lab's focus, the faculty's expertise, and the lab's reputation. You can also reach out to current lab members or attend lab meetings to get a better sense of the lab's work environment. Ultimately, choose a lab that aligns with your interests and that you feel comfortable working in.

What qualifications do I need to participate in an undergraduate research lab?

The qualifications may vary depending on the lab, but most will require that you have a strong academic record and a passion for research. Some labs may also have specific prerequisites or recommend certain coursework. It is also important to have good time management skills and the ability to work independently and as part of a team.

How many hours per week should I expect to commit to a research lab?

The number of hours per week will vary depending on the lab and your specific role within the lab. Some labs may require a minimum number of hours, while others may be more flexible. It is important to discuss expectations and commitments with the lab faculty or graduate students beforehand to ensure that you can balance your research work with your academic coursework and other responsibilities.

Can I receive academic credit or compensation for my participation in an undergraduate research lab?

Many universities offer academic credit or stipends for students who participate in research labs. You can inquire about these opportunities with your academic advisor or the faculty in charge of the lab. It is also important to discuss any potential compensation or academic credit requirements with the lab before starting your research work.