Christoffel symbols in flat spacetime

In summary, we showed that the equation of motion for a particle moving through Minkowski space with worldline x^\mu(\lambda) can be written in terms of a new coordinate system x^{\mu'} as \ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}, where \Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'} is the Christoffel symbol and is given by -J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}. These additional terms in the equation of motion can be thought of
homer

Homework Statement

Consider a particle moving through Minkowski space with worldline [itex]x^\mu(\lambda)[/itex]. Here [itex]\lambda[/itex] is a continuous parameter which labels different points on the worldline and [itex]x^\mu = (t,x,y,z)[/itex] denotes the usual Cartesian coordinates. We will denote [itex]\partial/\partial \lambda[/itex] by a dot. In this problem we will assume that the trajectory of the particle obeys the equation of motion [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex].

(a) Show that this trajectory describes a particle moving at constant velocity.
(b) Show that this trajectory is a local minimum of the action
[tex]
S = \int ds = \int d\lambda\,\sqrt{\eta_{\mu\nu} \dot{x}^\mu \dot{x}^\nu}
[/tex]
(c) Consider a new coordinate system [itex]x^{\mu'}[/itex] which differs from the original Cartesian coordinate system; as before, the Cartesian coordinates [itex]x^\mu[/itex] can be written as a function of these new coordinates [itex]x^\mu = x^\mu(x^{\mu'})[/itex]. Show that the equation of motion can be written in these new [itex]x^{\mu'}[/itex] coordinates as
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} + \Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} = 0
[/tex]
for some [itex]\Gamma^{\mu'}_{\nu'\lambda'}[/itex] which you must compute; [itex]\Gamma^{\mu'}_{\nu'\lambda'}[/itex] is known as the Christoffel symbol. These extra Christoffel terms in the equation of motion can be thought of as "fictitious" forces that arise in an accelerated reference frame.

(* I only need help with part c *)

Homework Equations

Jacobian matrix:
[tex]
J_{\beta}^{\alpha'} = \frac{\partial x^{\alpha'}}{\partial x^{\beta}}
[/tex]

Derivaitves:
[itex]\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'} \dot{x}^\mu[/itex]
[itex]\dot{x}^{\mu} = J_{\mu'}^{\mu} \dot{x}^{\mu'}[/itex]Notation:
[itex]\partial_\mu = \partial/\partial x^\mu[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I feel like I'm just spinning my wheels on this problem, and don't know where to go with it. This is from PHYS 514: General Relativity at McGill. Since I'm not actually taking this class I have no graders nor TA's ask when I get stuck as I learn how to do summation convention calculations. We haven't introduced Christoffel symbols yet in the class videos for the week of this assignment, so I assume we should only find them by deriving the equation of motion in the primed coordinate system. This is what I have come up with so far, but I have no idea if I made an error because this is my first time doing these kind of calculations (in this notation I mean).

Recall we earlier showed that
[tex]
\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu\:,
\qquad
\dot{x}^\nu = J_{\nu'}^{\nu} \dot{x}^{\nu'}.
[/tex]

Differentiating the left equation of with respect to [itex]\lambda[/itex] then gives
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu\big)
= \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\,\dot{x}^\mu + J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\ddot{x}^\mu.
[/tex]
But since [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex], this simplifies to
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\,\dot{x}^\mu.
[/tex]
We can compute the derivative of the Jacobian by swapping the order of derivatives as
[tex]
\frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)
=
\frac{d}{d\lambda}\Big(\partial_\mu x^{\mu'}\Big)
= \partial_{\mu}\dot{x}^{\mu'}.
[/tex]
Thus we have
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \big(\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
[/tex]
Since we can write [itex]\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\nu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\nu[/itex] and [itex]\dot{x}^\mu = J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}[/itex], we can write the equation above as
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}\dot{x}^\nu\big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
[/tex]
Writing [itex]\dot{x}^\nu = J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}[/itex], this equation becomes
[tex]
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}\big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
[/tex]
Applying the product rule for differentiation, we thus find
\begin{align*}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'}
& = \Big(
\partial_\mu\big(J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\big)\dot{x}^{\lambda'} +
J_{\nu}^{\mu'}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\lambda'}
\Big)J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\nu'} \\
& =
J_{\nu'}^{\mu}\partial_\mu\big(
J^{\mu'}_{\nu}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}
\big)\dot{x}^{\lambda'}\dot{x}^{\nu'} +
J_{\nu'}^{\mu}J_{\nu}^{\mu'}J^{\nu}_{\lambda'}
\big(\partial_\mu \dot{x}^{\lambda'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}.
\end{align*}

AND HERE IS WHERE I'M STUCK

Any help would be greatly appreciated, as this is a somewhat daunting subject to go it alone.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The rest of the problem is simple enough, but I'm stuck on part (c).

Forgot to mention [itex]\eta_{\mu\nu}[/itex] is the metric of flat spacetime in cartesian coordinates, with signature - + + +.

Hint: The chain rule
$$
\frac d{d\lambda} = \frac{d x^\mu}{d\lambda} \partial_\mu
$$

Likes 1 person
Orodruin said:
Hint: The chain rule
$$
\frac d{d\lambda} = \frac{d x^\mu}{d\lambda} \partial_\mu
$$

ARGGGGHHHHH! Flubbing the chain rule! Thank you so much for seeing through my BS argument! OK, so the answer should be:

Recall we earlier showed that
\begin{equation}
\dot{x}^{\mu'} = J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\dot{x}^\mu.
\end{equation}
Differentiating again, we get
\begin{align*}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'}
& = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu + J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\ddot{x}^\mu.
\end{align*}
Since [itex]\ddot{x}^\mu = 0[/itex], this equation becomes
\begin{equation}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \frac{d}{d\lambda}\big(J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
\end{equation}
From the chain rule we know that
\begin{equation}
\frac{d}{d\lambda}
= \frac{d x^\nu}{d\lambda}\frac{\partial}{\partial x^\nu} = \dot{x}^\nu \partial_\nu,
\end{equation}
so our equation of motion simplifies to
\begin{equation}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} = \dot{x}^\nu\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^\mu.
\end{equation}
But we also know that
\begin{equation}
\dot{x}^\nu = J_{\nu'}^{\nu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}, \qquad \dot{x}^mu = J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\lambda'},
\end{equation}
so our equation of motion becomes
\begin{equation}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} =
J_{\nu'}^{\nu}\dot{x}^{\nu'}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} =
J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'}.
\end{equation}
Moving everything to the left hand side, our equation of motion is then
\begin{equation}
\ddot{x}^{\mu'} -
J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\big(\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}\big)\dot{x}^{\nu'}\dot{x}^{\lambda'} = 0.
\end{equation}
Thus by inspection we find the Christoffel symbols are given by
\begin{equation}
\Gamma_{\nu'\lambda'}^{\mu'} = -J_{\nu'}^{\nu}J_{\lambda'}^{\mu}\partial_\nu J_{\mu}^{\mu'}.
\end{equation}

Related to Christoffel symbols in flat spacetime

1. What are Christoffel symbols in flat spacetime?

Christoffel symbols are a set of mathematical quantities used to describe the curvature of spacetime in the absence of gravity. In flat spacetime, these symbols represent the connection between the coordinate system and the underlying geometry of the space.

2. How are Christoffel symbols calculated?

Christoffel symbols are calculated using the metric tensor, which describes the distance between any two points in spacetime. They are derived from the partial derivatives of the metric tensor and are used to define the geodesic equation, which describes the shortest path between two points in spacetime.

3. What is the significance of Christoffel symbols in flat spacetime?

In flat spacetime, Christoffel symbols have a value of zero, meaning that the space is not curved and is described by the laws of special relativity. However, they are still important in the study of general relativity as they provide a basis for understanding the concept of curvature and its effects on the motion of objects in spacetime.

4. Can Christoffel symbols be used to describe curved spacetime?

Yes, in curved spacetime, Christoffel symbols have non-zero values and are used to describe the curvature of the space. They are crucial in the equations of general relativity, which explain how gravity is a result of the curvature of spacetime caused by the presence of mass and energy.

5. How do Christoffel symbols relate to other mathematical concepts in physics?

Christoffel symbols are closely related to other mathematical quantities used in physics, such as the Riemann curvature tensor and the Einstein field equations. They are also used in other areas of mathematics, such as differential geometry, to describe the properties of curved spaces.