Ciddor equation. this may be wrong forum, but i dont know where this goes.

• Thread starter bman!
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Forum
In summary, the conversation discusses the Ciddor equation, which links the refractive index of air to the wavelength of light. The speaker is in search of this equation but has been unable to find it due to it being on paid websites. They ask for someone to provide the full function for calculating the GVD.
bman!
hi anyone here use the ciddor equation before?

supposedly there's an equation linking refractive index n of air to the wavelngth of light.

its an equation that i need, but for the life of me i cannot find it as its often on websites that you have to pay for and i have noi money.

would appreciate if someone could give it to me.

Astronomy news on Phys.org
sorry, i ve seen that already.

thing is i need the full function so as to tke the second derivative to calculate the GVD

Related to Ciddor equation. this may be wrong forum, but i dont know where this goes.

1. What is the Ciddor equation and what is it used for?

The Ciddor equation is a mathematical formula used to calculate the refractive index of air. It takes into account factors such as temperature, pressure, and humidity, and is commonly used in atmospheric science and optical measurements.

2. How accurate is the Ciddor equation?

The Ciddor equation is considered to be highly accurate, with an error margin of less than 0.01%. However, it may not be suitable for extremely high precision measurements, such as those used in metrology or geodesy.

3. Who developed the Ciddor equation?

The Ciddor equation was developed by Allan C. Ciddor, an Australian scientist and mathematician. He published his findings in the Journal of Applied Optics in 1996.

4. Can the Ciddor equation be applied to any location on Earth?

While the Ciddor equation is a widely accepted standard for calculating the refractive index of air, it was primarily developed for use in temperate, dry climates. Its accuracy may vary in other regions, particularly those with extreme weather conditions.

5. Is the Ciddor equation still used today?

Yes, the Ciddor equation is still considered a reliable method for calculating the refractive index of air and is widely used in various fields of science and engineering. However, other equations and models have also been developed for specific applications and may be used instead in certain cases.