Cigar-shaped Charge Distribution

In summary, the conversation discusses a cigar-shaped static charge distribution with a total charge of q and its effect on the electric field at point P on the z-axis. The question poses whether the field, denoted as E, is greater than, equal to, or less than the field E' if q were concentrated at the origin. The homework equations used are Coloumb's Law and the concept of a "cigar" as an infinite amount of thin rings. The attempt at a solution concludes that the field at point P cannot be determined without knowing the dimensions of the cigar, as condensing it to a line increases the field while condensing it to a point decreases it, with the magnitude depending on the original dimensions of the cigar.
Opus_723

Homework Statement

A cigar-shaped static charge distribution is situated at the origin of coordinates. The long dimension of the "cigar" extends along the z-axis. The total charge is q. The field at point P on the z-axis outside the charge distribution will be called E. If q were concentrated at the origin, the field at point P would be E'. Is E greater than, equal to, or less than E'?

Homework Equations

Coloumb's Law.

I'm assuming that a "cigar" can be thought of as a rotation of some "radius function" so that it can be thought of as an infinite amount of very thin rings centered on the same line segment, bulging in the center and narrowing to a point at the ends. If this is not what is usually meant by a "cigar," please correct me.

The Attempt at a Solution

I first tried to think of this qualitatively. If you take a ring of charge and condense it to a point at its center, the electric field along the axis of the original ring grows larger, since there are no longer components of the field perpendicular to the axis canceled out by symmetry. The entire field now acts along the axis. So if we were to condense our entire cigar into a line charge, the field would grow stronger. The factor by which it grows stronger would be determined by the original radius of the rings that composed the cigar.

If you take a line charge and condense it to a point at its center, the field off the end of the line charge grows weaker. This is because for any two point charges equidistant from the center, the field due the charge being moved away from point P decrease more than the field from the charge being moved closer increases, due to the inverse square nature of coloumb's law. Again, this overall decrease will be more significant for longer line charges.

So it seems to me that there is no way to tell what will happen to the field at point P without knowing the dimensions of the cigar. Condensing it to a line increases the field, while condensing that line to a point decreases it. The magnitude of each change will depend on the original dimensions of the cigar.

Presumably there's a right answer to this question, though, although I don't have access to it. Where am I wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'll just bump this one time in case someone can help out.

Related to Cigar-shaped Charge Distribution

1. What is a cigar-shaped charge distribution?

A cigar-shaped charge distribution is a term used in physics to describe a charge distribution that is elongated in one direction, similar to the shape of a cigar. This shape can occur when there is a difference in charge density between two ends of an object, causing the charge to be distributed unevenly along its length.

2. How does cigar-shaped charge distribution differ from other types of charge distributions?

Cigar-shaped charge distributions are unique in that they have a non-uniform distribution of charge along their length. Other types of charge distributions, such as spherical or cylindrical, have a more symmetrical distribution of charge.

3. What are some real-life examples of cigar-shaped charge distribution?

A common example of cigar-shaped charge distribution is in lightning bolts. The charge is concentrated at the ends of the bolt, creating an elongated shape. Another example is in certain molecules, where the distribution of positive and negative charges can be uneven along the molecule's length.

4. How does cigar-shaped charge distribution affect electric fields?

Cigar-shaped charge distribution can create non-uniform electric fields, with stronger fields at the ends of the distribution. This can have an impact on the movement and behavior of charged particles in the vicinity.

5. Can cigar-shaped charge distribution be altered or manipulated?

Yes, cigar-shaped charge distribution can be altered or manipulated through the use of external electric fields or by changing the distribution of charges within the object. This can have implications in various technological applications, such as in the design of electronic devices.