Cigarretes are expensive(compound interest problem)

• Thread starter Gablar16
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Interest
In summary, the smoker will have deposited $79,679.70 at the end of 40 years with the help of compound interest.
Gablar16
I've been circling his problem for a little while and cannot find how to approach it.

A typical smoker spends 55 dollars a month on cigarrettes. Suppose that the smokers invest at the end of the month that same amount in a savings account at 4.8% compounded monthly. How much money will be in the account at the end of 40 years?

I translated that from spanish so it might be a little unclear, polease don't hesitate to ask for clarifycation.

I know that the compound interest formula is A= P(1+(r/n)^nt but the problem is that everytime I make a deposit I have to add last month amount with interest plus this months amount and it keeps mounting every month. I think the problem lies in P. I Tried plugging in all the numbers and if I invest only the first 55 dollars I will have 2305.60 at the end of the 40 years but I know that's wrong, as the real amount should be much higher. Any push in the right direction would me appreciated greatly. Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
I just scratched this out on paper, and I am trying to get a general solution for this: F = [1+(i/n)^nt]*A + [1+(i/n)^nt-1]*A + [1+(i/n)^nt-2]*A + ...
so its like calculating n different accounts, each with the same principle investment, just with one less compounding term for each successive account

Shouldn't A change over time too?

btw thanks for the reply

Thanks for the link Ronnin it really helped a lot.

I found a different formula in here
http://mathforum.org/dr.math/faq/faq.interest.html"

but they both gave me the same result.
The website you gave me used (a - ar^(n+1))/(1-r) where;

a=deposit (55)
r=the rate (1+(.048\12))
n=479 (from the geometric sequence?)

I then substituted and

(55-55(1.004)^480)\(-.004)=79679.7

The other formula P = M([1+(i/q)]^nq-1)(q/i) where;

M= 55
i= .048
q=12
n=40

gave me the same result.

My only confusion is that I tried to verify with a web calculator http://www.dinkytown.net/java/CompoundSavings.html" , but it gave a number that it is a bit higher, can someone verify for me? Thanks again

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to Cigarretes are expensive(compound interest problem)

1. How does compound interest affect the price of cigarettes?

Compound interest is a financial concept that refers to the interest earned on both the initial investment and any accumulated interest. In the context of cigarettes, this means that the cost of cigarettes will continue to increase over time due to the added interest on top of the initial price.

2. Why are cigarettes considered expensive due to compound interest?

Cigarettes are considered expensive due to compound interest because the added interest significantly increases the original price of the product. This is especially noticeable over longer periods of time, such as years or decades.

3. How can compound interest impact the affordability of cigarettes?

As compound interest continues to increase the price of cigarettes, it becomes less affordable for individuals to purchase them. This can lead to financial strain and potentially discourage people from smoking.

4. Is compound interest the only factor contributing to the high cost of cigarettes?

No, there are other factors that contribute to the high cost of cigarettes, such as taxes and production costs. However, compound interest plays a significant role in the continuous increase of cigarette prices.

5. Can compound interest also affect the cost of quitting smoking?

Yes, compound interest can also affect the cost of quitting smoking. For example, if someone quits smoking and invests the money they would have spent on cigarettes, they can potentially earn interest on that money and save even more in the long run.