Circle equation coefficient conditions

RChristenk
Homework Statement
Under what conditions on the coefficients ##a,b,c## does the equation ##x^2+y^2+ax+by+c=0## represent a circle? When that condition is satisfied, find the center and radius of the circle.
Relevant Equations
Basic form of circle equation
##x^2+ax+y^2+by=-c##

##\Leftrightarrow (x+\dfrac{a}{2})^2+(y+\dfrac{b}{2})^2=-c+\dfrac{a^2}{4}+\dfrac{b^2}{4}##

The conditions under which the coefficients of this equation makes a circle:

##-c+\dfrac{a^2+b^2}{4}>0##

##\Leftrightarrow 4c < a^2+b^2##

Center of circle: ##(-\dfrac{a}{2}, -\dfrac{b}{2})##

Radius of circle: ##\sqrt{\dfrac{a^2+b^2-4c}{4}} \Rightarrow \dfrac{\sqrt{a^2+b^2-4c}}{2}##

The question I have is the solution gives the radius of the circle as: ##\dfrac{\sqrt{a^2+b^2-4ac}}{2}##. Where did that extra ##a## in ##-4ac## come from?

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd say from a typo or a reflex writing the discriminant of ##ax^2+bx+c=0## as ##b^2-4ac.##

Since the problem statement is symmetric in ##(x,a),(y,b)## there is no reason for a symmetry break in the root.

fresh_42 said:
I'd say from a typo or a reflex writing the discriminant of ##ax^2+bx+c=0## as ##b^2-4ac.##

Since the problem statement is symmetric in ##(x,a),(y,b)## there is no reason for a symmetry break in the root.
Yes I think the solution is a typo too. I can see the equation is symmetric about the origin, but what do you mean the term ##-4ac## breaks the symmetry in the root? Thanks.

RChristenk said:
Yes I think the solution is a typo too. I can see the equation is symmetric about the origin, but what do you mean the term ##-4ac## breaks the symmetry in the root? Thanks.
If the term under the root were ##a^2+b^2-4ac## then ##a## would be distinguishable from ##b##. But the original expression ##x^2+ax+y^2+by+c=0## makes no difference between ##(x,a)## and ##(y,b)##. We could exchange the two pairs without changing anything. But if we exchange them in ##a^2+b^2-4ac## we would get ##a^2+b^2-4bc## which is not the same.

Likes SammyS and PeroK
Back