Circle Geometry Problems: Finding Radii and Tangents

• Thread starter heldensheld
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Geometry
In summary, the conversation involves a dislike for geometry and a request for help with various geometry problems. The problems include finding the radius of a circle drawn in the corner of a page, proving the ratio of the radius of two circles, and finding the distance of a point within a rectangular room. Diagrams would be helpful in solving the problems.
heldensheld
Man...I hate geometry...I feel like :mad: when I see them...

I can still do them but I can't do these :sick: .

Please help me and diagrams would be nice ;) .

A circle is drawn so that it just fits in the corner of a page. Point A is 1cm from one edge of the page and 2cm from another edge. Find the radius of the cricle.

Two circles of the same radius touch at A and have a common tangent BC. A small circle touches the larger circles and also has BC as a tangent. Prove that the radius of the small circle is 1/4 of the radius of the larger circles.

P is a point within a rectangular room ABCF. P's distance to A, B and C is 4m, 3m and 2m respectively. Find distance DP.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
heldensheld said:
Man...I hate geometry...I feel like :mad: when I see them...

I can still do them but I can't do these :sick: .

Please help me and diagrams would be nice ;) .

A circle is drawn so that it just fits in the corner of a page. Point A is 1cm from one edge of the page and 2cm from another edge. Find the radius of the cricle.

Two circles of the same radius touch at A and have a common tangent BC. A small circle touches the larger circles and also has BC as a tangent. Prove that the radius of the small circle is 1/4 of the radius of the larger circles.

P is a point within a rectangular room ABCF. P's distance to A, B and C is 4m, 3m and 2m respectively. Find distance DP.

Ah...****.

Not for homework...Mine isn't exactly homework tho...

Ah well...Mods can delete this if they want :frown: !

Hint for the first one: what is the equation for a circle centered at (x0, y0)?

If the circle is in the bottom right corner of the page, and the bottom right of the page is (0,0), what are the coordinates for (x0, y0), the point where the circle will be centered? (you should use r, the radius)

Can you plug in this center position and x=1, y=2 to your equation and solve for r?

Without referring to your formula for r, can you explain why there are two values of r which cross the point (1,2)?

Last edited:

FAQ: Circle Geometry Problems: Finding Radii and Tangents

1. What is geometry?

Geometry is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of shapes, sizes, relative positions of figures, and the properties of space.

2. What types of problems can be solved using geometry?

Geometry problems can involve calculating area, perimeter, volume, angles, and other measurements of various shapes such as triangles, circles, rectangles, and more.

3. How can I approach solving a geometry problem?

The key to solving a geometry problem is to first identify what information is given and what is being asked for. Then, use the appropriate formulas and concepts to solve the problem step by step.

4. What are some common mistakes to avoid when solving geometry problems?

Some common mistakes to avoid include using the wrong formula or equation, not correctly labeling or identifying figures, and forgetting to include units in the final answer.

5. Are there any strategies or tips for solving geometry problems more efficiently?

Yes, one strategy is to draw a clear and accurate diagram of the problem to help visualize the given information. It is also helpful to break the problem down into smaller, more manageable parts and to check your work as you go.