Circle Geometry Proof: Perpendicular Chord Bisected by Diameter

In summary, the task is to prove that any chord perpendicular to the diameter of a circle is bisected by the diameter. The proposed solution involves forming two congruent triangles, using the radius and a segment from the intersection of the chord and diameter to the center of the circle. However, the method of proving congruence by SSS would assume the thing to be proved.
Mr Davis 97

Homework Statement

Prove that any chord perpendicular to the diameter of a circle is bisected by the diameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that maybe I could form two triangles, show that these triangles are congruent, and then conclude that the two lengths of the chord cut by the diameter are equal in length. But I can't seem to prove congruence.

Physics news on Phys.org
Mr Davis 97 said:

Homework Statement

Prove that any chord perpendicular to the diameter of a circle is bisected by the diameter.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I was thinking that maybe I could form two triangles, show that these triangles are congruent, and then conclude that the two lengths of the chord cut by the diameter are equal in length. But I can't seem to prove congruence.
What triangles are you forming ?

SammyS said:
What triangles are you forming ?
Oh wait... Let X be the intersection of the chord and the diameter. If I form triangles with the radius, then I get that the hypotenuses are equal, but I also get that the segment from X to the center of the circle is the same for both triangles, so they are congruent by SSS (since the other side for both triangles comes from the Pythagorean theorem).

Mr Davis 97 said:
Oh wait... Let X be the intersection of the chord and the diameter. If I form triangles with the radius, then I get that the hypotenuses are equal, but I also get that the segment from X to the center of the circle is the same for both triangles, so they are congruent by SSS (since the other side for both triangles comes from the Pythagorean theorem).
Yes, the triangles are congruent, but not by SSS. That would require that you assume the thing you are to prove.

Related to Circle Geometry Proof: Perpendicular Chord Bisected by Diameter

1. What is a perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter in circle geometry proof?

A perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter in circle geometry proof refers to a line segment that intersects a circle at two points, creating a chord, and is perpendicular to the diameter of the circle at the point of intersection. The diameter, or the line passing through the center of the circle and connecting two points on the circle, bisects the chord, dividing it into two equal parts.

2. How do you prove that a chord bisected by a diameter is perpendicular?

To prove that a chord bisected by a diameter is perpendicular, we can use the property that any line drawn from the center of a circle to the midpoint of a chord is perpendicular to that chord. Since the diameter passes through the center of the circle and bisects the chord, it is perpendicular to the chord.

3. What is the significance of a perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter in circle geometry?

In circle geometry, a perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter is important because it creates two right triangles within the circle. This allows us to use the properties of right triangles, such as the Pythagorean theorem, to solve problems and prove theorems.

4. Can a chord be bisected by more than one diameter?

Yes, a chord can be bisected by more than one diameter. If the chord is the diameter of the circle, then it will be bisected by every diameter. Otherwise, there can only be two diameters that bisect the chord, with each one creating a perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter.

5. How is the perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter used in real-world applications?

The concept of a perpendicular chord bisected by a diameter is used in many fields, including architecture, engineering, and physics. For example, it is utilized in the design of arches and bridges, as well as in calculating the torque and pressure distribution in rotating objects. Additionally, it can be used to find the distance between two points on a circular object, such as a wheel or a clock.