Circle radius 2 complex integration

In summary: I think what the professor is asking is if this substitution will work in general. In summary, the substitution $u=2e^{it}+i\implies\,du = 2ie^{it}\,dt$ will work for the real part of the function $z=x+iy$.
Dustinsfl
Gamma is a circle of radius 2 oriented counterclockwise.

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \int_{\gamma} = \frac{i}{2}\left[\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z+i}dz-\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z-i}dz\right]
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}, \ \ \gamma'(t) = 2ie^{it}$

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}dz
$$

Now what can I do from here (just looking at the first integral)?

Physics news on Phys.org
Using the residue theorem You easily find that is $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1+z^{2}}=0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

chisigma said:
Using the residue theorem You easily find that is $\displaystyle \int_{\gamma} \frac{d z}{1+z^{2}}=0$...

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

I know it is zero but I am not trying to obtain the result that way. I should get each integral is $2\pi i$ and when subtracted they are 0.

dwsmith said:
Gamma is a circle of radius 2 oriented counterclockwise.

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \int_{\gamma} = \frac{i}{2}\left[\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z+i}dz-\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z-i}dz\right]
$$

$\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}, \ \ \gamma'(t) = 2ie^{it}$

$$
\int_{\gamma}\frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}dz
$$

Now what can I do from here (just looking at the first integral)?

First off, the integral you need to evaluate is $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}\,dt$, given that $\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}$, $t\in[0,2\pi]$.

To integrate that, you need to make the substitution $u=2e^{it}+i\implies\,du = 2ie^{it}\,dt$ (also note that the limits of integration change as well) such that the integral becomes $\displaystyle\int_{2+i}^{2+i}\frac{du}{u} = 0$.

The other integral is computed in a similar fashion.

I hope this helps!

Last edited:
Chris L T521 said:
First off, the integral you need to evaluate is $\displaystyle\int_{\gamma}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi} \frac{2ie^{it}}{2e^{it}+i}\,dt$, given that $\gamma(t) = 2e^{it}$, $t\in[0,2\pi]$.

To integrate that, you need to make the substitution $u=2e^{it}+i\implies\,du = 2ie^{it}\,dt$ (also note that the limits of integration change as well) such that the integral becomes $\displaystyle\int_{2+i}^{2+i}\frac{du}{u} = 0$.

The other integral is computed in a similar fashion.

I hope this helps!

our prof said there is no u sub for complex analysis because every closed path would be zero when that isn't always the case.

Is this valid:

$\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \left[\tan^{-1}(z)\right|_0^{2\pi}=0$

dwsmith said:
Is this valid:

$\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z^2+1} = \left[\tan^{-1}(z)\right|_0^{2\pi}=0$

In real analysis, above integral equals $\arctan(2\pi)$ (the area most exist, can't be $0$)

Also sprach Zarathustra said:
In real analysis, above integral equals $\arctan(2\pi)$ (the area most exist, can't be $0$)

This is a line integral in complex analysis and I know the answer to this integral is 0.
The question is how to show it without using Cauchy Integral Formula or Residue Theory.

dwsmith said:
our prof said there is no u sub for complex analysis because every closed path would be zero when that isn't always the case.

Once the function is in terms of real variables (in this case t), i can be treated as a constant and u substitutions are then valid...

Prove It said:
Once the function is in terms of real variables (in this case t), i can be treated as a constant and u substitutions are then valid...

I think I understand what my professor means. If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$

The numerator is the derivative of the denominator so substitutions is viable here as well.

$\int_1^1\frac{du}{u}=0\neq 2\pi i$.

Also, $\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z+i} = 2\pi i$ by Cauchy's Integral Formula. However, the intend is not to use that. So how can you make a substitution that says the integral is 0 when we know that is simply not true.

---------- Post added at 10:58 AM ---------- Previous post was at 10:06 AM ----------

Here is what I am thinking now.

$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z+i} = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{x+i(y+1)}$

Let $w=y+1$. Then
$\displaystyle\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{x+iw} =\int_0^{2\pi}\frac{dz}{z_0}$

Could this work?

Last edited:
dwsmith said:
If we substitute,

$\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt$
If you then cancel $e^{it}$ top and bottom in that fraction, you get $\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_0^{2\pi}i\,dt = \bigl[it\bigr]_0^{2\pi} = 2\pi i,$ as required.

Opalg said:
If you then cancel $e^{it}$ top and bottom in that fraction, you get $\int_{\gamma}\frac{1}{z}dz = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt = \int_0^{2\pi}i\,dt = \bigl[it\bigr]_0^{2\pi} = 2\pi i,$ as required.

I understand that. That wasn't the point of that example.

Related to Circle radius 2 complex integration

1. What is complex integration?

Complex integration is a mathematical concept that involves calculating the integral of a complex-valued function over a given region in the complex plane. It extends the concept of real-valued integration to complex numbers, which are numbers that have both a real and imaginary component.

2. What is a circle radius 2 complex integration?

A circle radius 2 complex integration refers to the process of integrating a complex-valued function over a circular region with a radius of 2 in the complex plane. This means that the function being integrated will have a variable that is a complex number and the integration will be performed along the circumference of the circle with a radius of 2.

3. How is a circle radius 2 complex integration different from a regular circle integration?

A regular circle integration involves integrating a real-valued function over a circular region in the real plane, while a circle radius 2 complex integration involves integrating a complex-valued function over a circular region in the complex plane. In the latter, the function and the region of integration involve complex numbers, while in the former, they involve only real numbers.

4. What are the applications of circle radius 2 complex integration?

Circle radius 2 complex integration has various applications in physics, engineering, and other areas of science. It is used to calculate quantities such as electric and magnetic fields in electromagnetism, displacement and stress in mechanics, and temperature and pressure in thermodynamics. It also has applications in signal processing, control systems, and image processing.

5. What are some techniques for solving circle radius 2 complex integration problems?

Some common techniques for solving circle radius 2 complex integration problems include using the Cauchy integral formula, the residue theorem, and contour integration. These techniques involve using properties of complex numbers, such as analyticity and the Cauchy-Riemann equations, to evaluate the integral. Other methods, such as partial fractions and substitution, may also be used depending on the specific function being integrated.