Circuit analysis is this correct?

In summary, the problem involves finding the current I2 in a circuit with a current source and resistors using KVL and KCL equations. The correct expression for the second loop is -8I2+4(I1-I2)+J=0. Solving for I1 and substituting it into the equation 2I1+8I2=42, the final answer for I2 is 3 A.
Questions999

Homework Statement

We have the the circuit in the figure.
gCUraSq.jpg

Homework Equations

I have to find I2.
KVL,KCL.

The Attempt at a Solution

I apply KVL in the "left " part of the circuit and I have -42 V+ 2I1 +8I2=0 .(I 1 is the current through 2 Ohm).I apply KCL in the nod between R1 R3 and R2 and I have (Current through R3)=I1-I2. I apply KVL in the right part of the circuit and I have -8I2+4(I1-I2) +2I2=0. I form a system with -42 V+ 2I1 +8I2=0 and -8I2+4(I1-I2) +2I2=0 and here I find that I1=(10/4)*I2.I replace this in 2I1+8I2=42 and I have I2=3.2 A.Is this correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
No, J = 2I2 is a current source. So your KVL expression for the second loop is not correct; you cannot say offhand what the potential drop across that current source will be.

Note that this current source tells you something about the current flowing through R3...

Oh,that current is 2I.So now I have I1-I2=2I2. Then I1=3I2.I replace this in 2I1+8I2=42. Now I have 14I2=42.Now I2=3 A.Thanks :)

Related to Circuit analysis is this correct?

1. Is circuit analysis necessary for understanding electronic circuits?

Yes, circuit analysis is essential for understanding the behavior and performance of electronic circuits. It helps in predicting the voltage, current, and power at different points in a circuit.

2. What are the different methods used for circuit analysis?

There are mainly three methods used for circuit analysis - Kirchhoff's laws, Ohm's law, and Thevenin's theorem. Kirchhoff's laws are used to analyze the current and voltage in a circuit, Ohm's law is used to calculate the relationship between voltage, current, and resistance, and Thevenin's theorem is used to simplify complex circuits into simpler ones for analysis.

3. How do you determine the voltage drop in a circuit?

To determine the voltage drop in a circuit, you can use Ohm's law, which states that the voltage drop (V) is equal to the current (I) multiplied by the resistance (R) of the circuit. So, V = I x R.

4. Can circuit analysis be applied to both DC and AC circuits?

Yes, circuit analysis can be applied to both DC (direct current) and AC (alternating current) circuits. However, the methods and equations used may differ depending on the type of circuit.

5. What are the benefits of circuit analysis?

Circuit analysis helps in designing and troubleshooting electronic circuits, understanding the behavior and performance of circuits, and predicting the voltage, current, and power at different points in a circuit. It is also useful in optimizing circuit performance and identifying potential issues or failures in a circuit.