Circuit Analysis - Source Transformation

In summary, the conversation discusses using source transformation to find Vx in a circuit. The attempt at a solution involved applying KVL and using the equation V=IR. The final answer for Vx is 6.11 V.
timeforplanb

Homework Statement

Find Vx using source transformation
attachment.php?attachmentid=41205&stc=1&d=1322126072.jpg

Homework Equations

V=IR
KVL

The Attempt at a Solution

After doing source transformation on the three pairs of current sources and resistors...
attachment.php?attachmentid=41207&stc=1&d=1322126953.jpg

KVL:
-6+2I-Vx+4I-3+3I+5I-2=0
14I-Vx-11=0
but Vx=5I (is it? I'm not so sure about this)
14I-5I-11=0
1I=11
I=1.222 A

Vx=-5I=-5(1.222)
Vx=-6.11 V

Did I do the source transformation right? Also, I'm confused with the value of Vx. Is it -5I or just 5I? Because in our class, our convention is that when a current source is transformed into a voltage source, the part where the arrow head in the current source becomes the positive terminal for the voltage source. But since we're only dealing with a resistor here, I just followed our convention for the KVL (the voltage across 5 ohms is positive since the mesh current enters the positive terminal)

Attachments

• ckt.jpg
    ckt.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 582
  • ckt2.jpg
    ckt2.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 628
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Everything looks fine except for your last two lines! Vx is in fact 5I, since its specified polarity indicates that it's a drop in the same direction as your current. So Vx = 6.11 V.

Last edited:
thank you very much for the verification sir!

Related to Circuit Analysis - Source Transformation

What is source transformation and why is it useful in circuit analysis?

Source transformation is a method used in circuit analysis to simplify complex circuits by replacing voltage sources with equivalent current sources, or vice versa. This is useful because it allows for simpler calculations and easier understanding of the circuit's behavior.

How do you perform source transformation?

To perform source transformation, you first need to identify the type of source (voltage or current) and the resistance connected to it. Then, you use the equations V=IR and I=V/R to calculate the equivalent source values. Finally, you replace the original source and resistance with the equivalent source and resistance.

When should source transformation be used in circuit analysis?

Source transformation can be used in any circuit analysis problem, but it is particularly useful when dealing with circuits that have multiple sources or complex configurations. It can also be used to simplify circuits for easier analysis or to find the Thevenin or Norton equivalent circuits.

What are some limitations of source transformation?

Source transformation is not always applicable, as it can only be used for linear circuits. It also cannot be used for circuits with dependent sources or for circuits with varying parameters, such as AC circuits.

Can source transformation be reversed?

Yes, source transformation can be reversed by using the same process of calculating equivalent values and replacing the sources. This can be useful when trying to find the original circuit configuration or to check the validity of the transformation.