Circuit Design - Comparators to light an LED

In summary, the person is trying to design a circuit that will only light up the LED if the input voltage is within a certain range. They need help understanding how to set up two comparators to achieve this.
hayniesk
Circuit Design -- Comparators to light an LED

Homework Statement

I need help designing a circuit that takes an input voltage and then lights a single LED if and only if V in is greater than or equal to 2V and less than or equal to 1 V.
It can only use 1 Power Supply unit, +/-5V
Circuit must not draw more than 50mA

Homework Equations

voltage divider = vtotal*R1/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there definitely needs to be a voltage divider of some sort (potentiometer?) range the voltage between 0V and 5V, and I probably will need 2 op amps. But I don't know how to design the circuit such that the LED will only light up if the voltage is within the given range.

Help appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
hayniesk said:

Homework Statement

I need help designing a circuit that takes an input voltage and then lights a single LED if and only if V in is greater than or equal to 2V and less than or equal to 1 V.
It can only use 1 Power Supply unit, +/-5V
Circuit must not draw more than 50mA

Homework Equations

voltage divider = vtotal*R1/(R1+R2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I know that there definitely needs to be a voltage divider of some sort (potentiometer?) range the voltage between 0V and 5V, and I probably will need 2 op amps. But I don't know how to design the circuit such that the LED will only light up if the voltage is within the given range.

Help appreciated!

I think there is a typo in your problem definition where I bolded it. Can you check to see if the wording of the voltage range shoule be fixed?

And I think you should initially try to do this using 2 comparators... Does that help?

The part that you bolded is in fact correct. Those are indeed the instructions. That is where my problem lies.

I am thinking about setting up two comparators, and i have a sketch of it. I just don't know how to manipulate it to turn off only when vIN is between 1 and 2V.

hayniesk said:
The part that you bolded is in fact correct. Those are indeed the instructions. That is where my problem lies.

I am thinking about setting up two comparators, and i have a sketch of it. I just don't know how to manipulate it to turn off only when vIN is between 1 and 2V.

Sorry, but that makes no sense. The two voltage ranges are mutually exclusive, so you cannot AND them.

"if and only if V in is greater than or equal to 2V and less than or equal to 1 V"

It makes sense to me although I agree the wording could be better. The word "and" is not being used to mean the logical AND.

The LED should be ON for Vin is <1V OR Vin >2V and OFF when Vin is between 1V and 2V.

Two comparators can be used to test Vin. Consider making an OR gate from diodes.

Or the same class from two years back? I'm actually working on this same problem now and can't really figure it out...

Wany posted a circuit on that other thread. Works like this..

One comparator generates a logic 1 (5V) output if the input is below 1V
Second comparator generates a logic 1 (5V) output if the input is above 2V.

A Diode/Resistor Logic OR gate is used to OR the two outputs of the comparators (google Diode OR gate).

Such an OR gate is built from two diodes and a resistor. The resistor is also used to limit the LED current.

If you don't know how to set up the comparators there are plenty of guides on the web.

Otherwise tell us where you are stuck.

Isn't there a car commercial running now that points out how important AND versus OR is?

Sweet OR Sour Pork...

Hide OR Seek...

:smile:

FAQ: Circuit Design - Comparators to light an LED

1. How do comparators work in a circuit design?

Comparators are electronic devices that compare two input voltages and output a digital signal indicating which input is larger. In a circuit design, comparators are commonly used to control the switching on and off of electronic components based on certain thresholds or reference voltages.

2. What is the purpose of using comparators to light an LED?

The purpose of using comparators to light an LED is to provide a visual indication when a certain threshold or reference voltage is reached in a circuit. This can be used for various applications, such as indicating when a battery is fully charged or when a certain temperature is reached.

3. What are the key components needed for a comparator-based LED circuit?

The key components needed for a comparator-based LED circuit include a comparator IC, resistors, capacitors, and an LED. The comparator IC acts as the main control, while the resistors and capacitors are used to set the reference voltage and provide stability to the circuit. The LED is the output indicator.

4. Can comparators be used with other types of electronic components besides LEDs?

Yes, comparators can be used with a variety of electronic components such as transistors, relays, and motors. They are commonly used in circuits that require precise control over switching on and off of components based on certain thresholds or reference voltages.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with a comparator-based LED circuit?

If your comparator-based LED circuit is not working as expected, there are a few troubleshooting steps you can take. First, check all connections to make sure they are secure and in the correct orientation. Next, check that the reference voltage is set correctly and that the input voltages are within the appropriate range for the comparator. If these steps do not solve the issue, you may need to check the datasheet for your specific comparator IC and make sure it is compatible with your circuit design.