Circuit problem -- Voltage source and 5 resistors....

In summary: So now you have 1.2 V on the top node (with respect to ground), 1.2 V on the bottom node, and 0 V across the 5 Ω resistor. Reattach the 5 Ω resistor and it's still 0 V across it, so the current is 0 A. This is the same as the answer you got from your more systematic approach, but much less work. You can use symmetry to show that the resulting current through the 5 Ω resistor will be the same no matter what the values of the resistors are (as long as they have the same ratio), and this is a nice trick to have in your toolbox
terryds

Homework Statement

http://www.sumopaint.com/images/temp/xzkaelnnkibopbdq.png

The electric current that goes through the 5 ohm resistor is

A. 0 A
B. 0,3 A
C. 0,6 A
D. 0,9 A
E. 1,2 A

Homework Equations

1/Rparallel = 1/R1+1/R2+...
Rseries = R1+R2+...

The Attempt at a Solution

I take the 6 ohm and 3 ohm as series so it's 9 ohm
Then, 4 ohm and 2 ohm as series so it's 6 ohm
Then, I take the 9 ohm, 6 ohm, and 5 ohm as parallel

But, it gives me 2,09 A which doesn't exist in the option..
Please help me

Physics news on Phys.org
terryds said:
I take the 6 ohm and 3 ohm as series so it's 9 ohm
Can't do that. There is the + side of the battery inbetween.
Mark v1 and v2 as the voltages across the 5 ohm respectively. Call the - side of the battery 0V.
Then write KVL to solve for v1 - v2.

rude man said:
Can't do that. There is the + side of the battery inbetween.
Mark v1 and v2 as the voltages across the 5 ohm respectively. Call the - side of the battery 0V.
Then write KVL to solve for v1 - v2.

Hmm... I use KVL, and get the current in the top closed loop is 0,3 A.
And, the bottom closed loop is 0,6 A.
So, what's the current that goes through the 5 ohm resistor?
I think it must be 0,9 A, right? Since the current at the top will meet the current at the bottom (the current at the top goes down, and the current at the bottom goes up)
I thought of using KVL at the closed loop in the 4ohm,2ohm,5ohm loop. But, it will be all variables and no numbers (since -5I - 4I + 2I = 0), and I'm not sure if I have had the sign (positive/negative) right...

terryds said:
Hmm... I use KVL, and get the current in the top closed loop is 0,3 A.
And, the bottom closed loop is 0,6 A.
So, what's the current that goes through the 5 ohm resistor?
I think it must be 0,9 A, right? Since the current at the top will meet the current at the bottom (the current at the top goes down, and the current at the bottom goes up)
I thought of using KVL at the closed loop in the 4ohm,2ohm,5ohm loop. But, it will be all variables and no numbers (since -5I - 4I + 2I = 0), and I'm not sure if I have had the sign (positive/negative) right...
I was expecting you'd write 2 equations in 2 unknowns: v1 and v2. Then current thru 5 ohm is (v1 - v2)/5.

rude man said:
I was expecting you'd write 2 equations in 2 unknowns: v1 and v2. Then current thru 5 ohm is (v1 - v2)/5.

How to determine v1 and v2?
I have no idea. Please give me some explanation on how to get v1 and v2

terryds said:
How to determine v1 and v2?
I have no idea. Please give me some explanation on how to get v1 and v2
It would be helpful if we had an idea of what circuit analysis techniques you've studied so far. For example, have you covered any of these: Nodal Analysis, Mesh Analysis, Thevenin Equivalents

gneill said:
It would be helpful if we had an idea of what circuit analysis techniques you've studied so far. For example, have you covered any of these: Nodal Analysis, Mesh Analysis, Thevenin Equivalents

I've just studied Ohm's law and Kirchchoff's law so far...
Could you please give and explain me the answer?
Thanks anyway

terryds said:
I've just studied Ohm's law and Kirchchoff's law so far...
Could you please give and explain me the answer?
Thanks anyway
Sorry, we can't do your homework for you here, just give advice.

If you're limited to the fundamentals of Ohms Law, KVL, and KCL, then you're in for a bit of work. You'll have to assign currents to each resistor and write KCL for each node, KVL for each loop, and solve for the currents.

On the other hand, if you're allowed to be a bit sneaky and take advantage of symmetry you can get there much quicker. Note that the resistors in the two left loops have the same ratios: 6:4 is the same as 3:2. Does that tell you anything about what potentials will end up on the top and bottom nodes? Hint: Suppose the 5 Ω resistor were removed temporarily. Taking the battery negative terminal as a reference node, what will V1 and V2 be in the figure here:

Fig1.gif

It seems like a balanced wheatstone bridge. So, v2-v1 is zero, right ?? So, the current is 0 ampere ??

v1 = 4/10 * 3 = 1,2
v2 = 2/5 * 3 = 1,2

v2 - v1 = 0

Is it right ??

Correct.

Likes terryds

Related to Circuit problem -- Voltage source and 5 resistors....

What is a voltage source?

A voltage source is a device that provides a constant potential difference or voltage across its terminals. This can be achieved through chemical reactions, electromagnetic induction, or other means.

What is a resistor?

A resistor is an electrical component that limits the flow of current in a circuit. It is designed to have a specific resistance value, measured in ohms, which determines the amount of current that can pass through it.

How does a voltage source affect a circuit with 5 resistors?

A voltage source will provide a constant voltage across the entire circuit, which will then be divided among the 5 resistors according to their individual resistance values. This will determine the amount of current that flows through each resistor.

What happens if one of the resistors in the circuit is changed?

Changing the resistance of one of the resistors will affect the overall resistance of the circuit, which will in turn affect the amount of current that flows through the circuit. This can also cause changes in the voltage and power distribution within the circuit.

How can the voltage and current in the circuit be calculated?

The voltage and current in the circuit can be calculated using Ohm's law, which states that the current (I) is equal to the voltage (V) divided by the resistance (R): I = V/R. The voltage across each resistor can also be calculated using Kirchhoff's voltage law, which states that the sum of all voltage drops in a closed loop must equal the sum of all voltage sources.