Circuit with two voltage source,

In summary, the conversation is about a circuit with two voltage sources and confusion about applying KVL. The book's solution is -12+4i+2v-4+6i=0, but the person gets -12+4i+2v-4v-6i=0. They are unsure why they get a different result and ask for clarification on how to solve similar circuits. The expert suggests drawing current arrows around the loop and treating the batteries as potential differences. The person realizes their mistake and the expert summarizes the conversation by saying that the circuit has three voltage sources and two resistors in series.
th3plan
In the picture u can see there are two voltage sources, I am confused one how to apply KVL to this. the book has this problem worked out and they get -12+4i+2v-4+6i=0 but i don't get this , i get this -12+4i+2v-4v-6i=0 and solutions isn't the same, what is my problem? For some reason there getting +6i and I am getting -6i. WHy does this happen. Can someone please explain clearly, how to solve something like this, and for future circuits ?

Attachments

• my circuit drawn.JPG
    my circuit drawn.JPG
    7.1 KB · Views: 541
Physics news on Phys.org
th3plan said:
In the picture u can see there are two voltage sources, I am confused one how to apply KVL to this. the book has this problem worked out and they get -12+4i+2v-4+6i=0 but i don't get this , i get this -12+4i+2v-4v-6i=0 and solutions isn't the same, what is my problem? For some reason there getting +6i and I am getting -6i. WHy does this happen. Can someone please explain clearly, how to solve something like this, and for future circuits ?

Hi th3plan! :smile:

I can't see the picture yet, but I assume that you've drawn one arrow the wrong way round.

In any circuit problem with more than one loop, you must draw arrows on each straight section (not just one for each loop), and mark each arrow with the (unknown) current, i1, i2 etc.

Then look at every junction on the diagram, and check that KVL I is satisified.​

If you do this for your problem, I'm sure you'll find there's a junction where it isn't. :smile:

lets say its going clockwise the current -12+4i+2v-4v-6i=0 , i get this but i don't understand why its wrong the second battery its throwign me off

tiny-tim said:

I can't see the picture yet, but I assume that you've drawn one arrow the wrong way round.

In any circuit problem with more than one loop, you must draw arrows on each straight section (not just one for each loop), and mark each arrow with the (unknown) current, i1, i2 etc.

Then look at every junction on the diagram, and check that KVL I is satisified.​

If you do this for your problem, I'm sure you'll find there's a junction where it isn't. :smile:

Its a 1 loop tim

th3plan said:
Its a 1 loop tim

hmm … I suppose I'm just going to have to wait for the diagram … :redface:

I wonder what the 12 is going to be? :smile:

I uploaded the circuit again, please explain me why its +6i not -6i, and how do two batteries act on a circuit like this

Attachments

• ef30606591101a0da16bd9c8186edd4c.jpg
    ef30606591101a0da16bd9c8186edd4c.jpg
    5.7 KB · Views: 498
I can't see your second image yet, so assuming it's the same.
I suggest you actually draw current arrows around the loop.
Yes, even though it is a single loop.

Without the rest of the circuit.
If you have two batteries +(12)-+(4)-, how do they act?

th3plan said:
th3plan said:
I uploaded the circuit again, please explain me why its +6i not -6i

ok, I can see the first picture now.

It shows three voltages sources (two "facing" one way, and one the other way), and two resistors, all in series.

(btw, why couldn't you have said that? :wink:)

The book multiplies the current, i, by the two resistances, 4 and 6, and adds them: 4i + 6i.

You want to subtract them: 4i - 6i. Why??

The resistances themselves are neutral, and the current, i, is flowing the same way, since, as you pointed out earlier, there's only one loop.

(that's why i assumed there were two loops …*it's the only way to get both i and -i)
, and how do two batteries act on a circuit like this

You just treat them like any other potential difference, in any loop in KVL 2 … if the potential differences are "facing" opposite ways, then of course you subtract them. :smile:

im dumb, i figured it out heh

FAQ: Circuit with two voltage source,

1. How do I calculate the total voltage in a circuit with two voltage sources?

In a circuit with two voltage sources, the total voltage is equal to the algebraic sum of the voltages from each source. This means that if the voltages are in the same direction, they are added. If they are in opposite directions, they are subtracted.

2. Can I connect two voltage sources in series?

Yes, two voltage sources can be connected in series, meaning their positive terminals are connected to each other and their negative terminals are connected to each other. In this case, the total voltage is equal to the sum of the individual voltages.

3. Is it possible to have two different voltage sources in parallel?

Yes, two voltage sources can be connected in parallel, meaning their positive terminals are connected to each other and their negative terminals are connected to each other. In this case, the total voltage is equal to the voltage of the source with the higher voltage.

4. What happens if the voltages of the two sources are the same?

If the voltages of the two sources are the same, then the total voltage in the circuit will also be the same as the individual voltages. This is because when two sources with the same voltage are connected in series, they essentially act as one source with the same voltage.

5. Can I add more than two voltage sources in a circuit?

Yes, you can add multiple voltage sources in a circuit. The total voltage will be equal to the algebraic sum of all the individual voltages. However, be cautious of connecting too many voltage sources as it can cause overloading or damaging the circuit.