[Circuits] Computing the Thevenin Equivalent #2

In summary: It all depends. You have to specifiy in series or parallel with respect to what. That circuit reduces to just the two resistors connected nose-to-tail by wires. If that's all there is, they are in series to make a total of 90 Ohms going around the loop.
ainster31

Homework Statement

h_1390340433_1355490_7cf39d8773.png

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I am trying to find the equivalent resistance for part b.

First, we turn off independent sources. We open circuit the 2A source and we close circuit the 30V source. We're left with two resistors. Are they in series or parallel and why? I think it is in series because there's no other elements other than the two resistors.

Physics news on Phys.org
Slide the 60 Ohm resistor down and to the right, into the position where the 30V source used to be. Now do the resistors look like they are in series or parallel, with respect to the two probe ponts 1 & 2?

Likes 1 person
berkeman said:
Slide the 60 Ohm resistor down and to the right, into the position where the 30V source used to be. Now do the resistors look like they are in series or parallel, with respect to the two probe ponts 1 & 2?

They look like they're in parallel but I can also make them look like they're in series by sliding the 60 ohm resistor even further past the (2) node.

ainster31 said:
They look like they're in parallel but I can also make them look like they're in series by sliding the 60 ohm resistor even further past the (2) node.

But then you've changed the question. The position of the 1 & 2 nodes is given to be where they are with respect to the two resistors. They are indeed in parallel. :smile:

berkeman said:
But then you've changed the question. The position of the 1 & 2 nodes is given to be where they are with respect to the two resistors. They are indeed in parallel. :smile:

But I removed the load so (1) and (2) aren't connected to anything.

As a side-question, what if we ignore (1) and (2), would the resistors be in series or parallel?

ainster31 said:
But I removed the load so (1) and (2) aren't connected to anything.
I don't understand what that means.

As a side-question, what if we ignore (1) and (2), would the resistors be in series or parallel?

It all depends. You have to specifiy in series or parallel with respect to what. That circuit reduces to just the two resistors connected nose-to-tail by wires. If that's all there is, they are in series to make a total of 90 Ohms going around the loop.

I think I get it. Thanks.

Related to [Circuits] Computing the Thevenin Equivalent #2

1. What is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a simplified representation of a complex circuit, which consists of a voltage source in series with a resistance. It is used to analyze the behavior and characteristics of a complex circuit, particularly when connected to another circuit.

2. How do you calculate the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

To calculate the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit, you must first remove the load resistor from the original circuit. Then, determine the open-circuit voltage by measuring the voltage across the load resistor. Next, find the equivalent resistance by short-circuiting all voltage sources and finding the total resistance. Finally, combine the open-circuit voltage and equivalent resistance to form the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit.

3. Why is the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit useful in circuit analysis?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is useful because it simplifies a complex circuit into a single voltage source and a single resistor, making it easier to analyze and understand the behavior of the circuit. It also allows for easier connection to other circuits, allowing for more efficient circuit design.

4. How does the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit differ from the Norton Equivalent Circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit is a voltage source in series with a resistance, while the Norton Equivalent Circuit is a current source in parallel with a resistance. They are equivalent in terms of their behavior and characteristics, but they are represented differently.

5. What are the limitations of using the Thevenin Equivalent Circuit?

The Thevenin Equivalent Circuit assumes that the circuit is linear and that the behavior of the circuit is independent of the load connected to it. It also does not take into account the effects of temperature and other environmental factors. Additionally, it may not accurately represent the behavior of the original circuit for certain types of non-linear circuits.