Circuits: Total Energy in a Battery Before Connecting to Bulb

In summary, the first part of the homework is solved using dimensional analysis to find that I=0.5A. The second part is not sure how to get the total energy stored in the battery before it is connected.
Saladsamurai

Homework Statement

Screenshot2011-01-23at50513PM.png

Homework Equations

P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

Part 1
For the first part I solved P = IV for the current flowing through the bulb to find that I = 0.5 A. I then divided 115 Ah by 0.5 A to get 230 hours. Now, I don't really understand what I did here. I just used dimensional analysis to come up with the answer. If anyone can suggest a more mathematical approach or physical approach, that would be nice.

Part 2

I am not really sure how to get the total energy stored in the battery before it is connected. This number is independent of the light bulb yes? My professor suggested that it was not, but I may have confused what he said.

I know that battery offers a potential of V(t) = 12 volts and a total charge of qtot = (115*3600) C.

I am not sure where to go with this information?

Physics news on Phys.org
The first part is fine; might be a little nicer if you used
Power = Energy/time or Energy = Power * time
You certainly need that formula for the part b.
You are quite right, the energy in the battery should be independent of how it may be used.

Hello Again Delphi!

Well, I want to use [itex]P = dE/dt = IV[/itex] but I don't really have an expression for the current or the power. So I am not really sure how to use that formula in Part 1 or Part 2? I am not given the power either. I am given the potential V and the Charge.

EDIT: Ok, I had the power of the bulb for part 1 but not part 2 since the bulb is not a factor.

Last edited:
In part 2, just use E = P*t = I*V*t = 115*12*3600, assuming a 115Ah rating means it can put out 115 A for one hour.
If you want to use the charge, you could use the definition of potential as the energy per charge, so E = q*V.

Delphi51 said:
In part 2, just use E = P*t = I*V*t = 115*12*3600, assuming a 115Ah rating means it can put out 115 A for one hour.
If you want to use the charge, you could use the definition of potential as the energy per charge, so E = q*V.

I like it! Thanks for pointing that out. Forgot by definition Potential = Energy/unit charge

:smile:

Most welcome. Good luck with the next one!

Delphi51 said:
Most welcome. Good luck with the next one!

Ha! Thanks :smile: I'm doing a combined MS/BS degree in mechanical engineering. I am in my very last semester and I have 3 grad mechanical classes and this second year EE stinker class that I am required to take :rolleyes: I like the lab though, seems pretty useful!

FAQ: Circuits: Total Energy in a Battery Before Connecting to Bulb

1. What is the total energy in a battery before connecting to a bulb?

The total energy in a battery before connecting to a bulb is determined by its voltage and capacity. Voltage refers to the potential difference between the positive and negative terminals of the battery, while capacity refers to the amount of charge the battery can hold. The total energy can be calculated by multiplying the voltage and capacity of the battery.

2. How does the total energy in a battery affect the brightness of a bulb?

The total energy in a battery directly affects the brightness of a bulb. As the battery's energy decreases, the brightness of the bulb will also decrease. This is because the bulb requires a certain amount of energy to light up, and as the battery's energy is used up, there is less energy available to power the bulb.

3. Is the total energy in a battery constant?

No, the total energy in a battery is not constant. As the battery is used, its energy will decrease until it eventually runs out. This is why batteries need to be replaced or recharged when they are depleted.

4. What happens to the total energy in a battery when it is connected to a bulb?

When a battery is connected to a bulb, the total energy in the battery is used to power the bulb. The energy is converted from chemical energy in the battery to electrical energy, which then powers the bulb and produces light.

5. Can the total energy in a battery be increased?

No, the total energy in a battery cannot be increased. The energy is determined by the battery's voltage and capacity, which are fixed characteristics of the battery. However, the battery's energy can be conserved by using it efficiently, and it can be replenished by recharging the battery.

Back