[Circuits] Using Superposition find vo

In summary, the conversation is about a person struggling to find vx in a circuit using Superposition and other methods such as Mesh Analysis, Node Analysis, and Ohm's Law. They are having trouble finding vx" and are seeking help from others. The conversation also mentions a possible mistake in the nodal analysis equation and suggests trying a different approach.
CircuitsSuck
I've been trying to to solve this for hours now and I am frustrated. I think I have vx', which might be wrong, but I cannot find vx" for the life of me. I have posted all my work, I know what I have down so far is correct, but I am missing something to move forward.

Homework Statement

Using Superposition, find vx in the circuit figure.

2wdd1n6.png

Homework Equations

vx= vx' + vx"

Mesh Analysis (KVL), Node Analysis (KCL), Ohm's Law

The Attempt at a Solution

I cannot find vx"! I need i3, but I literally can't find anything in the second circuit. Please help!

http://i61.tinypic.com/2zflrbc.jpg

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe you want to redo your calculation for your nodal analysis at point Vx

Your equation should be 5 = i1 + i3 + i4 (since i2 = i3 + i4), but I see 4 terms in your equation, which should only be 3 terms?

Using Superposition, find vx in the circuit figure.
Unless it is stipulated that you must use mesh or nodal analysis, why don't you do it the easiest way you can see? Then once you can get it right that way, try it afresh using the more formal approach.

The dependent source is active with either source, whether you're considering the 25V source or the 5A source.

Related to [Circuits] Using Superposition find vo

1. What is superposition and how does it apply to circuits?

Superposition is a principle in circuit analysis that states that the response of a linear circuit to multiple inputs is equal to the sum of the responses of the individual inputs acting alone. This means that the overall response of a circuit can be found by considering each input separately and then combining them together.

2. How do I use superposition to find vo in a circuit?

To use superposition to find vo in a circuit, you will need to break down the circuit into smaller subcircuits. For each subcircuit, you will need to disable all other voltage and current sources and solve for vo using traditional circuit analysis techniques. Then, you can combine the individual solutions to find the overall response of the circuit.

3. What types of circuits can be analyzed using superposition?

Superposition can be applied to any linear circuit, which means that it can be used to analyze circuits with ideal resistors, capacitors, and inductors. However, it cannot be applied to nonlinear circuits, which contain components such as diodes or transistors.

4. Are there any limitations to using superposition in circuit analysis?

One limitation of superposition is that it can only be applied to circuits with linear components. Additionally, it assumes that the components are ideal, which may not always be the case in real-world circuits. Finally, superposition can only be used to determine the steady-state response of a circuit and cannot account for transient effects.

5. What are the benefits of using superposition in circuit analysis?

Superposition allows for a systematic and straightforward approach to solving complex circuits. It also simplifies the analysis process by breaking down a circuit into smaller subcircuits. Additionally, it can be used to analyze circuits with multiple inputs, which would be more difficult to solve using traditional circuit analysis techniques.