Circuits with Diode: Understanding Ideal Diodes and Their Behavior

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of an ideal diode and its behavior when forward biased. It is stated that an ideal diode has a 0V forward bias voltage and does not conduct any current when reverse biased. The conversation also touches on the functioning of a diode in a circuit with a charging capacitor and the ambiguity surrounding the terms "open" and "closed" when describing a diode's behavior. The conversation ends with a comment about the practicality of an ideal diode.
Clandry
I have attached the problem along with the answers.

I have a question on both of the questions.

For the first question, if the diode is ideal, does that mean it's automatically "forward biased?"
The problem statement says "assume the diode is ideal (i.e. has a 0V forward bias voltage), but I don't think that's necessarily stating it's forward biased, is it?
A forward biased diode means that current is flowing from left to right (in this figure). The voltage to the left of the diode must be greater than the voltage to the right of the diode.
My question is, the solutions assumed it's an ideal diode, but I don't understand how they could assume that without figuring if the voltage to the left of the diode is greater than the right.

For the second question, when a capacitor just starts charging, it pretty much acts like a short right? And an inductor would act like a open.

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    48.8 KB · Views: 410
Physics news on Phys.org
Clandry said:
I have attached the problem along with the answers.

I have a question on both of the questions.

For the first question, if the diode is ideal, does that mean it's automatically "forward biased?"

No. It means that the voltage across it is zero when it is "open". You can substitute an open diode with zero resistance. (A closed one means infinite resistance)

Clandry said:
The problem statement says "assume the diode is ideal (i.e. has a 0V forward bias voltage), but I don't think that's necessarily stating it's forward biased, is it?
No, it does not mean that.

Clandry said:
A forward biased diode means that current is flowing from left to right (in this figure). The voltage to the left of the diode must be greater than the voltage to the right of the diode.
My question is, the solutions assumed it's an ideal diode, but I don't understand how they could assume that without figuring if the voltage to the left of the diode is greater than the right.

It is the best if you start from the beginning, when the capacitor is uncharged, and there is zero voltage on it. The right-hand side of the diode is positive with respect to the left hand side. If it is an ideal diode, its resistance is infinite when reverse biased. All current flows into the capacitor. So the capacitor is charged, its voltage increases till 2 V, what happens then with the diode? .What is the steady state voltage across the capacitor?

Clandry said:
For the second question, when a capacitor just starts charging, it pretty much acts like a short right? And an inductor would act like a open.
Yes.

ehild

ehild said:
No. It means that the voltage across it is zero when it is "open". You can substitute an open diode with zero resistance. (A closed one means infinite resistance)
You mean when the voltage across it is zero when it is a "short/closed" right?
An open diode should have infinite resistance and a closed diode should have 0 resistance (no voltage drop), I think.

ehild said:
It is the best if you start from the beginning, when the capacitor is uncharged, and there is zero voltage on it. The right-hand side of the diode is positive with respect to the left hand side. If it is an ideal diode, its resistance is infinite when reverse biased. All current flows into the capacitor. So the capacitor is charged, its voltage increases till 2 V, what happens then with the diode? .What is the steady state voltage across the capacitor?
How come the capacitor's voltage increases till 2V?

Clandry said:
An open diode should have infinite resistance and a closed diode should have 0 resistance (no voltage drop), I think.
Both of you are right. Unfortunately. http://physicsforums.bernhardtmediall.netdna-cdn.com/images/icons/icon9.gif

There is a huge ambiguity associated with the terms "open" and "closed", and I think the vernacular should be strenuously avoided, for reasons evidenced here.

ehild was using "open" in the sense that an open gate allows free passage, and a closed gate blocks passage. This usage appears at odds with the electronics conventions "open circuit" and "closed circuit".

Confusion reigns!

Last edited by a moderator:
Clandry said:

Oh, I learned it just the opposite way. Call it as you learnt: forward biased means a closed switch and reverse biased means an open switch.

Clandry said:
How come the capacitor's voltage increases till 2V?

If the voltage across the capacitor gets a bit greater then the left hand side of the diode would be more positive than the right hand side. What happens to the diode then?

ehild

Clandry said:
A silicon diode conducts when it is forward biased by about 0.6 volts. (It even conducts when the voltage is less than this, but it doesn't conduct well.) A germanium diode conducts when it is forward biased by about 0.3 volts, but if you allow it much current the voltage will rise to 0.5 or more and it can get warm or hot so might need a heatsink.

An ideal diode conducts when it is forward biased by 0.00 volts. Even when you allow it a heavy current, the voltage across it remains at 0.00 volts and it doesn't even get warm because it has zero power losses. Questions where an ideal diode is specified do so in the interests of simplicity.

It's a shame that no manufacturer produces these ideal diodes, they I'm certain they would sell like hot cakes. :smile:

ehild said:
If the voltage across the capacitor gets a bit greater then the left hand side of the diode would be more positive than the right hand side. What happens to the diode then?

ehild
Thanks for the replies.
That means the diode will act as a short.
In steady state, the capacitor would behave as a gap. I still don't quite understand how you determined the left hand side of the diode is greater than the right. I guess my question comes down to: why can't the diode be reverse biased at steady state?
I know the capacitor becomes a gap, but I don't quite see why that would mean the left hand side of the diode's voltage is greater than the right.

Clandry said:
Thanks for the replies.
That means the diode will act as a short.
In steady state, the capacitor would behave as a gap. I still don't quite understand how you determined the left hand side of the diode is greater than the right. I guess my question comes down to: why can't the diode be reverse biased at steady state?
I know the capacitor becomes a gap, but I don't quite see why that would mean the left hand side of the diode's voltage is greater than the right.

If the diode is reverse biased you can eliminate the right-hand side of the network (diode and 2 V source). The 6V source charges the capacitor through the resistor. What will be the steady-state voltage of the capacitor?

ehild

ehild said:
If the diode is reverse biased you can eliminate the right-hand side of the network (diode and 2 V source). The 6V source charges the capacitor through the resistor. What will be the steady-state voltage of the capacitor?

ehild

It would be VA=5V across the capacitor since no current will be flowing through this circuit at steady state.

Is this the reason why the left hand side of the diode's voltage is greater than the right? Thus, creating a forward biased diode.

Clandry said:
It would be VA=5V across the capacitor since no current will be flowing through this circuit at steady state.

Is this the reason why the left hand side of the diode's voltage is greater than the right? Thus, creating a forward biased diode.

Yes. But the diode gets forward biased as soon as the capacitor voltage excesses 2 V.

ehild

Related to Circuits with Diode: Understanding Ideal Diodes and Their Behavior

1. What is a diode and how does it work?

A diode is a two-terminal electronic component that allows current to flow in only one direction. It consists of a p-n junction, where one side is positively charged (p-type) and the other side is negatively charged (n-type). When a voltage is applied in the correct direction, the diode allows current to flow through it. However, when the voltage is applied in the opposite direction, the diode acts as an insulator and does not allow current to flow.

2. What is an ideal diode?

An ideal diode is a theoretical diode that has zero resistance when current is flowing in the forward direction and infinite resistance when current is flowing in the reverse direction. It also has no voltage drop when conducting in the forward direction. In practical applications, real diodes have some resistance and voltage drop, but ideal diodes are useful for understanding the behavior of diodes in circuits.

3. What is the purpose of a diode in a circuit?

Diodes have a variety of uses in circuits, including rectification, voltage regulation, and signal mixing. In rectification, diodes are used to convert alternating current (AC) to direct current (DC), which is necessary for most electronic devices. In voltage regulation, diodes can be used to maintain a constant voltage in a circuit. They can also be used to mix signals in electronic circuits.

4. How do you analyze circuits with diodes?

The behavior of diodes in circuits can be analyzed using Kirchhoff's circuit laws and basic circuit analysis techniques. Specifically, the current-voltage relationship of the diode, known as the diode equation, can be used to determine the voltage and current at different points in the circuit. Additionally, the concept of ideal diodes can be used to simplify circuit analysis in certain situations.

5. What are some common problems when working with diodes?

Some common problems when working with diodes include reverse-bias breakdown, which occurs when the reverse voltage applied to the diode exceeds its breakdown voltage, and thermal runaway, which occurs when the diode heats up and its resistance decreases, causing it to draw more current and heat up even more. It is important to consider these potential issues when designing and analyzing circuits with diodes.