Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction

In summary, the experiment involves a circular aperture with a diameter of 3.1 mm being illuminated by a monochromatic plain wave. By using the Rayleigh criterion, it was determined that the wavelength of the light being used is 600.6 nm.
tms1991

Homework Statement

A circular aperture, with diameter 3.1 mm, is illuminated by a monochromatic plain wave. On the screen, which lays 1m ahead, we observe that the center of the diffraction pattern is dark. When we start to move the screen gradually backwards, the center becomes bright, then dark again and then bright from now on, even if we continue moving the screen. Which is te wavelength of the light we are using in this experiment?

Homework Equations

I would say:

The Rayleigh criterion: sen[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1,22 [tex]\lambda[/tex]/a

The radius of Fresnel`s zone plates: r = [lambda. n. D]^[1/2]

The Attempt at a Solution

My attempt was to make the radius of the third fresnel zone equal to the second minimum of the diffraction pattern. But then I realized it wasn`t as simple as i thought, as the formula of the minima for a circular diffraction pattern is not so simple.
I have no clue now, though I know the answer must be 600.6 nm, I can`t get there. If anyone could help me, I would aprecciate it very much.

PS: sorry for the English...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your question. Based on the given information, we can use the Rayleigh criterion to determine the wavelength of the light being used in this experiment. The Rayleigh criterion states that the first minimum of the diffraction pattern occurs when the angle between the center of the aperture and the first minimum is equal to 1.22 times the wavelength divided by the diameter of the aperture. In this case, the diameter of the aperture is 3.1 mm, or 0.0031 m. We can rearrange the equation to solve for the wavelength:

wavelength = (1.22 * diameter) / angle

Since the first minimum occurs at an angle of 0.0 degrees (directly ahead of the aperture), we can plug in the values to get:

wavelength = (1.22 * 0.0031 m) / 0.0 degrees

This gives us a wavelength of 600.6 nm, which is the same as the answer you were given. Therefore, the light being used in this experiment has a wavelength of 600.6 nm. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

FAQ: Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction

1. What is Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction?

Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction is a phenomenon that occurs when a wave passes through a small circular opening or aperture. The wave diffracts or bends around the edges of the aperture, resulting in a diffraction pattern on the other side.

2. How does the size of the aperture affect the diffraction pattern?

The size of the aperture plays a crucial role in the diffraction pattern. A smaller aperture will result in a wider diffraction pattern, while a larger aperture will produce a narrower pattern. This is because a smaller aperture allows for more diffraction to occur, resulting in a more spread out pattern.

3. What is the difference between Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction?

Fresnel and Fraunhofer diffraction are two different approximations of diffraction that occur in different situations. Fresnel diffraction occurs when the distance between the aperture and the screen is small, while Fraunhofer diffraction occurs when the distance is large. Fresnel diffraction produces a more complex diffraction pattern, while Fraunhofer diffraction produces a simpler pattern.

4. How does the distance between the aperture and the screen affect the diffraction pattern?

The distance between the aperture and the screen, also known as the observation distance, affects the diffraction pattern in a similar way to the size of the aperture. A shorter distance will result in a wider pattern, while a longer distance will produce a narrower pattern.

5. What are some applications of Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction?

Circular Aperture Fresnel Diffraction has many practical applications in various fields such as optics, astronomy, and acoustics. It is used to study the behavior of light and sound waves, design optical instruments, and analyze the diffraction patterns of celestial objects. It is also used in the production of holograms and in laser beam shaping.

Back