Circular cone volume through integration

In summary, the problem involves finding the volume of an over-filled right circular cone with a height of 6 cm and base radius of 2 cm. The cone is placed with its vertex at the origin and axis along the positive y-axis. The cross-section containing the x-axis is a parabola with equation y = 8 - x^2. The volume of the ice cream can be obtained by rotating this cross-section around the y-axis and adding the volume of the cone. The limits of integration for y must be determined and the parabola equation may need to be adjusted to ensure that no ice cream is lost.
orangesun

Homework Statement

A right circular cone has height 6 cm and base radius 2. It is over-filled with ice cream,
in the usual way. Place the cone so its vertex is at the origin, and its axis lies along the
positive y–axis, and take the cross-section containing the x–axis. The top of this crosssection
is a piece of the parabola y = 8 − x2 . The whole filled ice-cream cone is obtained
by rotating this cross-section about the y–axis.
What is the volume of the ice cream?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

So for I have
x2 = 8-y
v = pi . integral((8-y)dx) from 0 to 8

I am not sure if I am on the right path though.
Many thanks,

Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF!

Hi orangesun! Welcome to PF! :smile:

(have an integral: ∫ and a pi: π :wink:)
orangesun said:
So for I have
x2 = 8-y
v = pi . integral((8-y)dx) from 0 to 8

I am not sure if I am on the right path though.

Yes, that's the right path for the curved part of the ice-cream.

(except it isn't dx, it's dy … each horizontal slice is a disc of area πx2 and height dy)

Now you need to decide on the limits of integration (for y), and then add the volume of the cone part. :smile:

(btw, is your parabola correct? it doesn't seem to meet the top of the cone … and we wouldn't want to lose any ice-cream! :redface:)

Related to Circular cone volume through integration

1. What is a circular cone?

A circular cone is a three-dimensional geometric shape with a circular base and a pointed top, similar to an ice cream cone. It is formed by rotating a right triangle around one of its legs.

2. How do you calculate the volume of a circular cone?

The volume of a circular cone can be calculated by using the formula V = (1/3)πr²h, where r is the radius of the circular base and h is the height of the cone.

3. What is integration in mathematics?

Integration is a mathematical process that involves finding the area under a curve on a graph. It is the inverse of differentiation and is used to solve various problems in calculus and other fields of mathematics.

4. Why do we use integration to calculate the volume of a circular cone?

We use integration to calculate the volume of a circular cone because it allows us to find the area of each infinitesimally thin slice of the cone and then add them up to find the total volume, which cannot be done using basic geometric formulas.

5. Can you explain the steps involved in finding the volume of a circular cone through integration?

First, we need to determine the limits of integration, which will be the height of the cone. Then, we need to express the radius of each infinitesimally thin slice in terms of the height using similar triangles. Next, we integrate the formula V = (1/3)πr²h with respect to the height. Finally, we evaluate the integral and obtain the final volume of the circular cone.