Circular Motion and Force Problem

In summary, the homework problem involves finding the force between a man and his chair on a Ferris Wheel. The man has a mass of 50.0 kg and the Ferris Wheel has a radius of 30m. The wheel completes a single revolution every 20 seconds and the equations used to solve the problem are FNET=ma, Fg=mg, \tau=2\pir/v, and a=v2/r. To find the force on the man, the force of gravity is first calculated to be 490N. However, the period is then incorrectly calculated as 0.05rev/sec, resulting in a very large velocity and acceleration. The correct approach would be to take into account the changing direction of
cheerspens

Homework Statement

A man sitting on the edge of his seat on a Ferris Wheel has a mass of 50.0 kg. The Ferris Wheel has a radius r=30m and the ferris wheel completes a single revolution every 20 seconds. Find the force between the man and the chair.

Homework Equations

FNET=ma
Fg=mg

[tex]\tau[/tex]=2[tex]\pi[/tex]r/v
a=v2/r

The Attempt at a Solution

I found the force of gravity on the man to be 490N. I think the period is 0.05rev/sec so I set up the [tex]\tau[/tex] equation to be 0.05=2[tex]\pi[/tex](30)/v. I solved for V however and get 3769.91 m/s. It seems like too big of a number. This then gives me a very large acceleration of 473740.71m/s2.
I need to solve for a to plug into my FNET equation in order to find the force on the chair on man.
What am I doing wrong to get these large numbers?

Physics news on Phys.org
There are two forces that act on the man. The first is the constant, but if you correctly wrote out the question the second force changes directions with the man's position as he rotates around the ferris wheel.

So the force that the man feels as a push from the seat will depend on where he is as he rotates around the wheel. The Force would be a function of [tex]\theta[/tex]

FAQ: Circular Motion and Force Problem

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path around a central point or axis.

2. What is centripetal force?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and keeps an object moving in circular motion.

3. How is centripetal force related to circular motion?

Centripetal force is necessary for an object to maintain circular motion. It acts as a "center-seeking" force that keeps the object moving in a circular path instead of moving in a straight line.

4. What is the difference between centripetal force and centrifugal force?

Centripetal force is a real force that acts towards the center of a circular path, while centrifugal force is a fictitious force that appears to act outwards from the center of rotation due to inertia.

5. How do you calculate centripetal force?

The formula for centripetal force is F = mv²/r, where F is the force, m is the mass of the object, v is the velocity, and r is the radius of the circular path.

Back