Circular motion and orbits AP Physics

In summary, the ball of mass M moves in a circle in vertical plane as the tension in the string is twice the weight of the ball at the top and just clears the ground as air resistance is negligible.
jolynnnicole
A ball of mass M attached to a string of length L moves in a circle in vertical plane. At the top of the circular path, the tension in the string is twice the weight of the ball. At the bottom, the ball just clears the ground. Air resistance is negligible. Express all answers in terms of M, L, and g.

A) Determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the ball when it is at the top.
I know that ƩF=T=Fc but that's about all I can get. Can someone please help.

B) Determine the speed v initial of the ball at the top.

I did;
ƩF=T+mg= mv^2/L and since T=2mg+mg=3mg
so
3mg=mv^2/L
the masses cancel out and you take the square root of what's left so
v=the square root of 3lg

Physics news on Phys.org
A) Look at all of the forces acting on the ball at the top. There is more than tension.
B) Your math looks correct. Just note that the net force on the ball at the top is actually [tex]ƩF = 3mg[/tex], not [tex]T= 3mg[/tex]. It looks like your next line is right, but just make sure you have your terms correct.

For part A I don't understand at all how to find the magnitude and direction. at the top you have tenstion, net force, and mg (force of gravity). That's all I about know.

The magnitudes you already know; it's given to you. Force of gravity, as you said in the post before, has a strength of mg. Tension is twice that. So there's the magnitudes!

The directions should be straightforward. Gravity is always acting toward the center of the planet. The tension is a little more tricky to think about. Ask yourself, "What way does the string have to pull to make the net motion circular?"

Ohhh, duhh. Sometimes when it's soo easy I over think -__- Thaaanks (:

Related to Circular motion and orbits AP Physics

1. What is circular motion in physics?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a continuous change in the direction of motion.

2. What is the difference between uniform circular motion and non-uniform circular motion?

Uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed, while non-uniform circular motion is when an object moves along a circular path at varying speeds. In non-uniform circular motion, the object experiences acceleration due to the changing direction of its velocity.

3. How are centripetal force and circular motion related?

Centripetal force is the force that keeps an object moving in a circular path. In circular motion, the centripetal force is directed towards the center of the circle and is responsible for continuously changing the direction of the object's velocity.

4. What is the relationship between circular motion and orbits?

Circular motion is a type of motion that can be observed in objects that are in orbit. An orbit is the circular path that an object takes around a larger object, such as a planet orbiting the sun. In this case, the centripetal force is provided by the gravitational force between the two objects.

5. How does the radius of a circular orbit affect the speed of an object?

The radius of a circular orbit is inversely proportional to the speed of an object. This means that as the radius increases, the speed of the object decreases, and vice versa. This relationship is described by the equation v = √(GM/r), where G is the gravitational constant, M is the mass of the larger object, and r is the radius of the orbit.