Circular Motion at an angle, finding angles and tension

In summary, the problem involves a ride for young children at a royal show, where they sit in spinning seats supported by chains. The weight of the seats is 10.0kg and the mass of the chains is negligible. With no one sitting in the seats, the chains make an angle of 28 degrees to the vertical, and the system supporting the chains has a radius of 4m. The length of each chain is 2.50m. The problem asks for the speed of each seat, the angle the chains make with the vertical when a child is sitting in the seat, and the tension in the chain during the ride. Using the equations Fc = mv^2/r, W = mg, and T = ma
etern1ty

Homework Statement

At the royal show there is a ride for younger children where they sit in a seat and it spins in a circle. The seats weigh 10.0kg and by comparison the mass of the chains holding the seats is negligible. When the system rotates the chains make an angle of 28 degrees to the vertical if there is nobody sitting in them. The radius of the system supporting the chains is 4m.The length of each chain supporting a chair is 2.50m long. a) what is the speed of each seat? c) what angle would the chain make with the vertical with the child in a seat? d) what is the tension in the chain during the ride with the child in the seat?

Homework Equations

Fc = mv^2/r
W=mg
T=ma+mg

The Attempt at a Solution

Part a)
W=mg=10*9.8 = 98N
I found the horizontal component of the weight at the end of the chain = 98tan28=52.11N
As Fc=Horizontal Weight to keep it in position, i figured that 52.11=mv^2/r
R=2.5sin28 = 1.17m+the 4m off the base of the support = 5.17m
52.11=mv^2/5.17 = 10v^2/5.17. V=*square root*(52.11*5.17)/10=5.19ms-1

Part c)
In this i wasnt sure how to find the two unknown variables, as i don't know both V and theta so i assumed V was the same as part a), 5.19ms-1
Fc=mv^2/r = (10+40)*5.19^2/(2.5sin*theta)+4
As Fc=Horizontal component of Weight, Fc=mgtan theta.
= [(10+40)*5.19^2/(2.5sin*theta)+4]=490tan*theta
And so rearranging gave me [(50*5.19^2)/(2.5*490+4)]=sin*theta*tan*theta.
from this i solved in solver of my calculator and got an angle of 53.68 degrees. I am pretty certain to say this is wrong as the mass has increased, and so the angle should decrease no? how would you solve this question for both V and theta?

Part D)
I only know the equation that i think is right for tension, i have no idea what to do for this part of the question. I've tried using the weight down of 490N (50*9.8) and using the angle gathered in part C and using trig to solve, in which i got a tension of 827.3N but I am not certain about that at all.

If a picture is needed for the question, please ask and ill try upload one

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi etern1ty, welcome to PF.

If the velocity remains constant, θ is independent of mass in the chair. But tension will increase.

Last edited:

Related to Circular Motion at an angle, finding angles and tension

1. What is circular motion at an angle?

Circular motion at an angle refers to the motion of an object that is moving in a circular path at an angle to the ground. This type of motion is characterized by a constant speed and a change in direction, resulting in a circular path.

2. How do you find the angle in circular motion?

The angle in circular motion can be found by using the trigonometric functions sine, cosine, and tangent. These functions can be used to calculate the angle based on the known values of the velocity, radius, and acceleration of the object in circular motion.

3. How is tension involved in circular motion at an angle?

Tension is a force that is involved in circular motion at an angle. It is the force that is exerted by a string or rope on an object that is moving in a circular path. Tension is responsible for keeping the object in its circular path and preventing it from flying off in a straight line.

4. Can tension be calculated in circular motion at an angle?

Yes, tension can be calculated in circular motion at an angle by using Newton's second law of motion, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its acceleration. By setting up equations with the known values of the forces and acceleration, the tension can be solved for.

5. What factors affect the tension in circular motion at an angle?

The factors that affect the tension in circular motion at an angle include the mass of the object, the speed of the object, the radius of the circular path, and the angle at which the object is moving. A higher speed or a smaller radius will result in a higher tension, while a larger angle will decrease the tension.