Circular Motion Due to Coriolis Force

In summary, the problem involves a particle with velocity v on a smooth horizontal plane. After calculating the Coriolis force using the given equation, the attempt at a solution involves finding the net force on the particle in Earth's frame. The solution may involve finding a force perpendicular to v.
beth92

Homework Statement

A particle has velocity v on a smooth horizontal plane. Show that the particle will move in a circle due to the rotation of the Earth and find the radius of the circle. (Ignore all fictitious forces except the Coriolis force.)

Homework Equations

Coriolis force, given by

FC = -2m(ωxv)

The Attempt at a Solution

I started off by writing out the vector ω:

ωxyz

But the x component of the Earth's angular velocity is zero.

The velocity of the particle is horizontal, so has no z component.

So I tried calculating the cross product of ω and v and ended up with:

FC=-2m[(-ωzvy)i + (ωzvx)j + (-ωyvx)k]

This is where I got stuck..I'm not sure how I'm supposed to show that this causes circular motion. I'd assume I'm looking for a force perpendicular to v...

If anyone can give me any advice or let me know what I'm doing wrong I'd appreciate it!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Find net force on the particle in Earth's frame. (it may help.i'm not sure.)

Related to Circular Motion Due to Coriolis Force

1. What is the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is a fictitious force that acts on objects in motion on a rotating reference frame. It causes objects to deviate from their straight path and appear to veer to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere.

2. How does the Coriolis force affect circular motion?

The Coriolis force affects circular motion by causing a deflection in the direction of motion. This means that objects will follow a curved path instead of a straight line due to the rotation of the reference frame.

3. What causes the Coriolis force?

The Coriolis force is caused by the rotation of the Earth. As the Earth rotates, objects on its surface or in its atmosphere appear to experience a force perpendicular to their direction of motion.

4. What is the relationship between the Coriolis force and the latitude?

The Coriolis force is directly proportional to the latitude. This means that the further away an object is from the equator, the stronger the Coriolis force acting on it.

5. How does the Coriolis force affect weather patterns?

The Coriolis force plays a crucial role in the formation of weather patterns. It causes winds to rotate counterclockwise in the Northern Hemisphere and clockwise in the Southern Hemisphere. This is why hurricanes and cyclones in the Northern Hemisphere spin counterclockwise, while those in the Southern Hemisphere spin clockwise.