Circular Motion Help: Solving a Chemistry Lab Centrifuge Problem

In summary: Sorry for wasting your time. Thank you for your help!In summary, the problem involved finding the minimum frequency needed for a chemistry lab centrifuge to achieve an acceleration of 10 times the Earth's gravitational acceleration. The solution involved using equations A = v^2/r and v = 2∏fr, with a value of 9.8 for g and a diameter of 20cm. The final answer was found to be 4.98 rev/s.
Pack12

Homework Statement

A chemistry lab centrifuge spins creating a circular trajectory for the solutes in the test tubes with a diameter of 20cm. If an acceleration of 10 times the Earth's gravitational acceleration is required, which of the following is a minimum frequency that must be achieved by the centrifuge? Hint: Circumference = 2∏r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I tried using A=V^2/r then used V=2∏fr to solve for frequency but the answer I'm getting is not listed in the multiple choices. Am I missing a step or am I completely off track on how to solve this problem?

Physics news on Phys.org
Pack12 said:

Homework Statement

A chemistry lab centrifuge spins creating a circular trajectory for the solutes in the test tubes with a diameter of 20cm. If an acceleration of 10 times the Earth's gravitational acceleration is required, which of the following is a minimum frequency that must be achieved by the centrifuge? Hint: Circumference = 2∏r

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, I tried using A=V^2/r then used V=2∏fr to solve for frequency but the answer I'm getting is not listed in the multiple choices. Am I missing a step or am I completely off track on how to solve this problem?

Welcome to the PF.

Please post your math so we can check your work. Be sure to keep variables in mks units, and show what value you are using for "g" -- the acceleration of gravity.

Thank you for making me show my work because I think I may have found my error. I'm using 9.8 as my value for g. The final answer I'm getting is 4.98 rev/s. Does this answer sound about right?

I am getting a different result.
Just type your work in. It is a rule.

Pack12 said:
Thank you for making me show my work because I think I may have found my error. I'm using 9.8 as my value for g. The final answer I'm getting is 4.98 rev/s. Does this answer sound about right?

I'd prefer to check your work rather than writing it out myself (I'm at work; been here all weekend). As a further hint, be sure to carry units along in your calculations, and cancel them out when you have the same units in the numerator and denominator. The LHS and RHS of your equation must have units that agree.

No problem...

a=v^2/r...

9.8 x 10 = v^2/.1m = 9.8=v^2 = 3.13 m/s

v=2∏fr...

3.13=2(3.14)(.1)f = 3.13=.628f = 4.98 rev/s

Options are...

5 rev/s
100 rev/s
60 rev/s
8 rev/s

Seems right to me. I made a mistake.

Related to Circular Motion Help: Solving a Chemistry Lab Centrifuge Problem

1. What is circular motion in the context of a chemistry lab centrifuge problem?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point. In the context of a chemistry lab centrifuge problem, it is the motion of a sample inside the centrifuge as it rotates at a constant speed.

2. How do I calculate the centripetal force in a centrifuge?

The centripetal force in a centrifuge can be calculated using the equation Fc = m * v^2 / r, where Fc is the centripetal force, m is the mass of the sample, v is the velocity of the sample, and r is the radius of the centrifuge.

3. What is the relationship between the speed of rotation and the centripetal force in a centrifuge?

As the speed of rotation increases, the centripetal force also increases. This is because the centripetal force is directly proportional to the square of the velocity (Fc ∝ v^2).

4. How do I find the radius of a centrifuge if I know the speed and mass of the sample?

The radius of a centrifuge can be calculated using the equation r = m * v^2 / Fc, where m is the mass of the sample, v is the velocity of the sample, and Fc is the centripetal force.

5. Can I use a centrifuge to separate substances of different densities?

Yes, a centrifuge can be used to separate substances of different densities through a process called centrifugation. As the centrifuge spins, the denser substances will move towards the bottom of the centrifuge tube, while the less dense substances will remain closer to the top.