Circular motion I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING

Just set up a force diagram at the top and solve for v. In summary, the problem involves a ball of mass M attached to a string of length L moving in a circle in a vertical plane. The tension at the top of the string is twice the weight of the ball and air resistance is negligible. The net force on the ball at the top can be found using the equation Fn=mg-ma. The initial velocity of the ball at the top can be determined using the equation F=mv^2/r. To find the time it takes for the ball to reach the ground when the string is cut at the top, the parabolic
Toto06

Homework Statement

A ball of mass M attached to a string of length L moves in a circle in a vertical plane as shown (picture of circle with a radius drawn L and M as a ball on the circle.) the tension at the top in the string is twice the weight of the ball. At the bottom the ball JUST clears ground Air resistance is negligible. Express your answers in terms of M,L, and g.

a. determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the ball when it is at the top.

Fn=mg-ma?

b. Determine the initial velocity of the ball at the top.
F=mv^2/r?

c.Determine the time it takes the ball to reach the ground if the string is cut when the ball is at the top of the circle.

d. Just before the string was cut, what was the string tension at the bottom? Assume that the ball has the same velocity at all points around its path.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Sorry I didn't show too much work but that is because i truly don't know where to start. PLEASE HELP

Physics news on Phys.org
Toto06 said:
a. determine the magnitude and direction of the net force on the ball when it is at the top.

Fn=mg-ma?

At the top of the circle, what are the two forces acting and what direction are they in? The resultant of the two forces give the net force.

Toto06 said:
b. Determine the initial velocity of the ball at the top.
F=mv^2/r?

Yes you will need to use mv2/r. When you get the answer for part one, you can use mv2/r to get 'v'.

Toto06 said:
c.Determine the time it takes the ball to reach the ground if the string is cut when the ball is at the top of the circle.

You'll get 'v' from above. Just use the parabolic equations of motion to find time,t. Hint: When the string is cut, the ball flies off at a tangent to the circle.

Toto06 said:
d. Just before the string was cut, what was the string tension at the bottom? Assume that the ball has the same velocity at all points around its path.

Form the equation for the resultant force at the bottom and you will have 'v' from before.

for part b though that formula solves for v I need Vo.

Toto06 said:
for part b though that formula solves for v I need Vo.

I think part b just wants you to get v

Related to Circular motion I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I AM DOING

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. It occurs when an object travels at a constant speed along a circular trajectory, with the direction of motion constantly changing.

2. What causes circular motion?

Circular motion is caused by a centripetal force, which is a force directed towards the center of the circular path. This force is necessary to keep an object moving in a circular motion, as it constantly changes the direction of the object's velocity.

3. How does circular motion differ from linear motion?

Circular motion differs from linear motion in that the direction of motion is constantly changing in circular motion, while it remains constant in linear motion. Additionally, circular motion requires a centripetal force, while linear motion does not.

4. What are some real-life examples of circular motion?

Some examples of circular motion in everyday life include the motion of a spinning top, the movement of a Ferris wheel, and the orbit of planets around the sun.

5. How is circular motion related to Newton's laws of motion?

Circular motion is related to Newton's laws of motion, specifically the first and second laws. The first law states that an object in motion will remain in motion unless acted upon by an external force, and the second law relates the acceleration of an object to the net force acting on it. In circular motion, the centripetal force acts as the external force and causes the object to accelerate towards the center of the circular path.