Circular Motion of a car on a curve

In summary, the conversation is discussing the coefficient of static friction necessary for a car to not skid on a curved track. The formula Fr=ma is being used and the concept of "perfectly banked" is being explored. The participants are trying to determine how to incorporate this into an equation and what it tells them about the force of friction at the perfect bank speed of 75 km/h.
FossilFew
Hello - I'm having doubts about this approach. Thanks in advance!

If a curve with a radius 88m is perfectly banked for a car traveling 75 km/h what must be the coefficient of static friction for a car not to skid when traveling at 95 km/h?

95km/h = 26.4m/s
75km/h = 20.8 m/s

Fr=ma (radial a)
v^2/gr=Us
Us= (95^2/(9.81* 88) = 10.5 ( This seems too large)

Physics news on Phys.org
How are you taking into account the banking of the curve? Don't forget that a component of the normal force will provide some of the required centripetal force. What do you think "perfectly banked" means?

We just got into circular motion so being a circular motion newbie I can only give you a newbie answer. My interpretation of perfectly banked means there is a force pushing the car towards the center of the track. I'm not sure how to use that explanation (assuming it is correct) into an equation.

Thanks!

FossilFew said:
We just got into circular motion so being a circular motion newbie I can only give you a newbie answer. My interpretation of perfectly banked means there is a force pushing the car towards the center of the track. I'm not sure how to use that explanation (assuming it is correct) into an equation.

Thanks!
Perfectly banked means that the driver of the vehicle does not feel like s/he is being pushed sideways relative to the seat. Equivalently, it means there is no force making the tires slide up or down the track. What does this tell you about the force of friction when the car is traveling at the "perfect bank" speed of 75 km/h?

FAQ: Circular Motion of a car on a curve

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion refers to the movement of an object along a circular path, where the object maintains a constant distance from a fixed point called the center of the circle.

2. How does a car move on a curve?

A car moves on a curve by continuously changing its direction and velocity. This is achieved by the centripetal force, which is provided by the friction between the tires and the road surface.

3. What factors affect the circular motion of a car on a curve?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a car on a curve include the speed of the car, the radius of the curve, the mass of the car, and the coefficient of friction between the tires and the road surface.

4. How does the speed of the car affect the circular motion on a curve?

The speed of the car affects the circular motion on a curve by determining the centripetal force required for the car to maintain its circular path. As the speed increases, the required centripetal force also increases, making it more difficult for the car to stay on the curve.

5. How does the radius of the curve affect the circular motion of a car?

The radius of the curve affects the circular motion of a car by determining the angle of the turn and the amount of centripetal force required. A larger radius allows for a smoother turn, while a smaller radius requires a sharper turn and a higher centripetal force to keep the car on the curve.

Back