Circular Motion - particle in a bowl

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the reaction force and radius of a particle moving in a hemispherical bowl with a given mass, angular velocity, and distance from the center. The participants explore the concept of centripetal force and how it relates to the reaction force exerted by the bowl. They also discuss using trigonometry to find the radius of the bowl.
Thanuka
For the above problem i got the answer. But i got another question

I really apprecaite if anyone can give an answer for this question
This is the question

A particle of mass 0.3kg moves with an angular velocity of 10rad per second in a horizontal circle 20cm inside a smooth hemispherical bowl. FInd the reaction of the bowl on the particle and the radius of the bowl.

Here i found the centripetal of acting on the object
F=0.3*10^2*20/100
F=6N

Is this the reaction?
After this i don't know how to find the radius

Physics news on Phys.org
You found the centripetal force acting on the particle. That's only one component of the reaction force.

Draw a diagram of the particle showing all the forces acting on it. Hint: What can you deduce from the fact that the bowl is smooth?

ohhh yes if it is smooth centripetal force is the only componant of the reaction force as there is no friction
But how can i find the radius of the bowl??

Thanuka said:
ohhh yes if it is smooth centripetal force is the only componant of the reaction force as there is no friction
True, there is no friction, but that does not mean that the reaction force is horizontal. Hint: Consider the vertical forces acting on the particle.
But how can i find the radius of the bowl??
First find the direction of the reaction force, then use some trig.

I think the centripetal force we found should be normal to the inner surface of the bowl
as centripetal acceleration always goes through the center of the circle ,,,i got a triangle which one side is 20cm and its hypotenus is the centripetal force which is 6N
After that i got stucked..

ohh sorry its not the centripetal acceleration its the centriprtal force that goes through the center of the bowl

Thanuka said:
I think the centripetal force we found should be normal to the inner surface of the bowl
as centripetal acceleration always goes through the center of the circle
But the circle is horizontal, thus the centripetal force and acceleration will be horizontal.

The force that the bowl exerts on the particle is normal to the surface of the bowl. What component of that force equals the centripetal force?

I think we have to resolve the normal reaction force exert by the bowl on the particle like "Rcos theta"
then it is equal to the 6N which is centripetal force
I don't know ,,,is it right??

Good. Now analyze the vertical components.

i think i got now
Rcos theta= 6N as centripetal force is 6N
Rsin theta = 3N as mass of the particle is 0.3kg
therefore:
tan theta = 1/2
theta = 26 deg and 34 mintues
then
from the triangle
cos theta =20/radius
we know theta therefore we can find cos theta
cos theta = 0.8954
0.8954 = 20/radius
radius= 20/0.8954
By solving this you can get the length of radius
I hope this is right
Is it?

I didn't check your calculations, but that's exactly the right idea. Good!

thank you for your help
I appreaciate it

Related to Circular Motion - particle in a bowl

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving in a circular path around a fixed point, with a constant speed and changing velocity.

2. How does a particle in a bowl exhibit circular motion?

A particle in a bowl exhibits circular motion because it is constrained to move along the curved surface of the bowl, with the center of the bowl acting as the fixed point.

3. What is the force that keeps a particle in a bowl moving in a circular path?

The force that keeps a particle in a bowl moving in a circular path is the centripetal force, which acts towards the center of the circular path and is necessary to keep the particle from flying off in a straight line.

4. What factors affect the circular motion of a particle in a bowl?

The factors that affect the circular motion of a particle in a bowl include the speed of the particle, the radius of the circular path, and the mass of the particle.

5. What is the difference between circular motion and uniform circular motion?

Circular motion involves an object moving in a circular path with a constant speed, while uniform circular motion involves an object moving in a circular path with a constant speed and changing velocity, meaning the object is also accelerating towards the center of the circle.