Circular Motion Problem: Conservation of Energy and Newton's Second Law

In summary, the conversation revolves around a problem involving a bead on a wire, with the main focus on determining the magnitude and direction of the normal force. The conversation also delves into the concepts of velocity, acceleration, and centripetal force, as well as discussing the differences in formula calculations for small angles. The participants ultimately come to a better understanding of the problem and its solutions through thorough explanations and calculations.
inky

Homework Statement

Please see attachment my problem.

Homework Equations

Law of conservation of energy
Newton's Second law for circular motion

The Attempt at a Solution

Please see attachment.
I didn't get the answer same as solution. Please help me.

Attachments

• Circular motion problem..pdf
    64.1 KB · Views: 273
Physics news on Phys.org
R2 and R1 are vectors, of opposite directions. You calculated their magnitude. Determine the vector difference.

ehild

Thank you for quick reply. This is the old exam question. But I need magnitutude of R2-R1. Please see the exam solution.

Oops. Take care of the direction of R1 and the condition that theta should be less than 33.7 degrees. Is then cosθ lower or higher than 2/3? Just think of the case when θ=0. What is the direction of R1?

ehild

If Θ=0, direction of R1 is toward the centre at any pointl. I didn't get idea as well.

I confused one thing is in solution,
R1=mgcos(theta)-mv[2]/a

I got
R1=mv[2]/a-mgcos(theta)

Could you explain for this? Thanks a lot.

It is

R1=mgcos(theta)-mv^2/a,

because R1 points upward, away from the centre. The direction of the force R1 is wrong as shown in the figure. Just think: What is the direction of R1 at the top, so as the bead do not fall down?

As R1 is the magnitude of the force, it can not be negative. But your formula for R1 results in a negative number.

ehild

Last edited:
No. This is vertical circular motion. For bead threaded onto the wire , direction of normal force is toward the centre at any point. If the particle is moving outside the loop, normal force is outward.

It is a bead on a wire. The normal force can be both outward and inward. How can the bead be in rest at the top, if two downward forces act on it?

Imagine you have this loop of wire, and you hold a bead to it at the top, just below the wire so the normal force acts downward. Release the bead, what happens?

ehild

ehild said:
It is a bead on a wire. The normal force can be both outward and inward. How can the bead be in rest at the top, if two downward forces act on it?

Imagine you have this loop of wire, and you hold a bead to it at the top, just below the wire so the normal force acts downward. Release the bead, what happens?

ehild

According to the mechanics textbooks, only we consider one normal force. Not two normal force. Please see Application of Mathematics or Mechanics about vertical circular motion.

inky said:
According to the mechanics textbooks, only we consider one normal force. Not two normal force. Please see Application of Mathematics or Mechanics about vertical circular motion.

At the top two down forces acting on it. Normal force and weight. For roller coaster, at the top , normal force and weight directions are downward as well.

Yes, but the roller coaster has some speed at the top. If it does not move, it falls down.

The centripetal force is the resultant of normal force and gravity.

mv^2/R = N +G. N=mv^2/R-G, which can be either positive or negative, depending on v.

Why don't you calculate the value R1 with your formula for a small angle, for example 10 degrees, instead of sticking to the statement that "For bead threaded onto ("on" in the original text) the wire , direction of normal force is toward the centre at any point"? The bead has a hole, and the wire goes through it. The wire can exert force both toward and away the centre, as it can be in contact with opposite walls of that hole in the bead.

I have to leave now. Think about what I have said.

ehild

Last edited:
ehild said:
Yes, but the roller coaster has some speed at the top. If it does not move, it falls down.

The centripetal force is the resultant of normal force and gravity.

mv^2/R = N +G. N=mv^2/R-G, which can be either positive or negative, depending on v.

Why don't you calculate the value R1 with your formula for a small angle, for example 10 degrees, instead of sticking to the statement that "For bead threaded onto ("on" in the original text) the wire , direction of normal force is toward the centre at any point"? The bead has a hole, and the wire goes through it. The wire can exert force both toward and away the centre, as it can be in contact with opposite walls of that hole in the bead.

I have to leave now. Think about what I have said.

ehild

Dear ehild,
Thanks a lot for explaining patiently. When is velocity negative? I didn't see any velocity is negative in my textbook. We consider force only. If the force is same as acceletatin direction, usually we take positive.

Velocity is a vector, it can have any directions. It is speed, the magnitude of velocity, that can not be negative.

You are right, the force is considered positive with respect to the acceleration if it has the same direction as that of the acceleration.

Now, about normal force: The (centripetal) acceleration points toward the centre. If the bead is at the top of the circle, gravity G=mg points also towards the centre so it is positive. The centripetal force is the sum of gravity G and the normal force R1. All these forces are vectors, they act along the vertical direction now. You found that R1=mv2/a-mgcos(theta). Calculate, R1 for theta =0, 30° and 40°, please, and tell me what you got. ehild

ehild said:
Velocity is a vector, it can have any directions. It is speed, the magnitude of velocity, that can not be negative.

You are right, the force is considered positive with respect to the acceleration if it has the same direction as that of the acceleration.

Now, about normal force: The (centripetal) acceleration points toward the centre. If the bead is at the top of the circle, gravity G=mg points also towards the centre so it is positive. The centripetal force is the sum of gravity G and the normal force R1. All these forces are vectors, they act along the vertical direction now. You found that R1=mv2/a-mgcos(theta). Calculate, R1 for theta =0, 30° and 40°, please, and tell me what you got.

ehild

I got these values.
R(40)>R(30)>R(0)

It is all right that R1 increases with the angle, but is it positive or negative?

You wrote that

R1= mv12/a-mgcos(θ),

and

1/2 mv12=mg(1-cos(θ)),

right?

So

R1=mg(2-3 cos(θ)).

If θ=0, R1=mg(2-3)=-mg negative.
If θ=30°, R1=mg(2-2.598)= -0.598 mg, negative.
If θ=40°, R1=mg(2-2.298)= -0.298 mg, negative.

You need the magnitude of the normal force. It can not be negative. Your formula is wrong.
The magnitude of the normal force is the negative of the values above. The correct form is

R1=|mg(2-3 cos(θ))| =mg(3 cos(θ)-2)

ehild

ehild said:
It is all right that R1 increases with the angle, but is it positive or negative?

You wrote that

R1= mv12/a-mgcos(θ),

and

1/2 mv12=mg(1-cos(θ)),

right?

So

R1=mg(2-3 cos(θ)).

If θ=0, R1=mg(2-3)=-mg negative.
If θ=30°, R1=mg(2-2.598)= -0.598 mg, negative.
If θ=40°, R1=mg(2-2.298)= -0.298 mg, negative.

You need the magnitude of the normal force. It can not be negative. Your formula is wrong.
The magnitude of the normal force is the negative of the values above. The correct form is

R1=|mg(2-3 cos(θ))| =mg(3 cos(θ)-2)

ehild

If R is negative, the particle will fall out from the circular loop.

Thank you very much ehild. Now I got a lot of knowledge. Really thanks.

Well, this one will not fall down, as it is a bead, (a small ball with a hole through the middle) and the wire goes through the hole.

ehild

Related to Circular Motion Problem: Conservation of Energy and Newton's Second Law

What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object along a circular path. This type of motion is characterized by a constant distance between the object and a fixed point, known as the center of the circle, and a constant speed.

What is conservation of energy in circular motion?

Conservation of energy in circular motion refers to the principle that the total energy of a system remains constant, meaning that energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred from one form to another. In circular motion, the kinetic energy and potential energy of the object remain constant, while the direction of the energy changes as the object moves along the circular path.

How does Newton's Second Law apply to circular motion?

Newton's Second Law states that the acceleration of an object is directly proportional to the net force acting on it and inversely proportional to its mass. In circular motion, the acceleration of the object is constantly changing direction, so the net force acting on the object must also be constantly changing to maintain the circular motion.

What is centripetal force in circular motion?

Centripetal force is the force that acts towards the center of a circular path and is responsible for keeping an object in circular motion. It is equal to the mass of the object multiplied by its centripetal acceleration, which is the square of its speed divided by the radius of the circle.

How is energy conserved in circular motion?

In circular motion, energy is conserved because the total energy of the system, which includes the sum of kinetic and potential energy, remains constant. As the object moves along the circular path, its kinetic energy may change, but it is balanced by an equal and opposite change in potential energy. This means that the total energy of the system remains the same throughout the motion.

Back