Circular Motion Seesaw Balance Question

In summary, the conversation discusses using the torque equation to describe the relationship between the resulting torque in a balanced system. The equation used is t= r*Fsin(theta) and the key is to pick an axis and calculate the torque from each force, ensuring to pay attention to signs.
Samthegross

Homework Statement

Describe the relationship between the resulting torque from each scenario using the torque equation.

Question this question is addressing- Using the bricks from the materials on the right, create and record 10 different combinations of two unequal masses that result in a balanced system.

Homework Equations

t= r*Fsin(theta)

The Attempt at a Solution

I am assuming theta is 90, seeing as torque is perpendicular and the balance is flat because it is in equilibrium. But I am very confused on F in this equation and I am wondering how you would relate this equation to a balanced system.

Thanks in advance for the help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First, you need to pick an axis to take torques about. You mention a seesaw, so the fulcrum seems the most reasonable point. (Depending on the question details, there could be a better choice.)
For a balanced system, the sum of the torques is zero. So you need to use the formula you quoted to find the torque from each force about the chosen axis. Pay attention to signs.
Your question is a bit vague. If I have not answered it, please provide full details of the problem are stuck on and where you are up to in solving it.

Related to Circular Motion Seesaw Balance Question

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is the movement of an object in a circular path around a fixed point or axis.

2. How does a seesaw balance work?

A seesaw balance works by having two equal masses on opposite ends of a lever, with the pivot point in the middle. When one end of the lever goes up, the other end goes down, creating a balance between the two masses.

3. What is the relationship between circular motion and seesaw balance?

The relationship between circular motion and seesaw balance is that both involve the concept of balancing forces. In circular motion, centripetal force balances out the centrifugal force to keep an object moving in a circular path. In a seesaw balance, the downward force of one mass is balanced by the upward force of the other mass.

4. How does the speed of circular motion affect the balance of a seesaw?

The speed of circular motion does not directly affect the balance of a seesaw, as long as the centripetal and centrifugal forces are balanced. However, the speed of circular motion can affect the forces acting on the seesaw due to the inertia of the masses, which can impact the balance.

5. Can the seesaw balance be affected by the weight of the masses?

Yes, the seesaw balance can be affected by the weight of the masses. The heavier the masses are, the more force is required to balance them, and the more likely the seesaw will tip to one side. This is why it is important to have equal masses on both ends of the seesaw to maintain balance.

Back