Circular motion vector question

In summary, the conversation discusses circular motion and the use of sine and cosine functions to describe it. It also touches on the graphical representation of these functions and their relationship to the equation of a circle. The use of sine and cosine as vector components is also mentioned. The main point is that these functions are simply used to describe the motion and do not have any deeper meaning or significance.
sponsoredwalk

Homework Statement

Salve! In "The Mechanical Universe" introductory physics course, the ninth lecture called "Moving in Circles" shows the following vector equation,

Homework Equations

r = r cos w t i + r sin w t j

where i and j are vector indicators (with the little hat over them lol i=cartesian x, j=y)

The Attempt at a Solution

My question is that they display a circle and the r from the centre (radius) is spinning counter-clockwise and as it does so something strange happens. The show displays the above equation beside the circle and as the radius spins round the
cos w t
or the
sin w t
begin to spin around too, in what looks to me like a pattern trigonometry with an explanation. My suspicion is that there is a reason for this lol and i assume it has to do with the following pattern i noticed;

When the r points down south and proceeds spinning right, until it reaches up top (north) "cos w t" is readable and "sin w t" is upside down, then when it goes from north to south in the counter clockwise direction "cos w t" is upside down and "sin w t" is right side up. Now I wonder if this is to do with using "- sin w t" or is there an explanation somebody could give me, in laymans AND technical terms, just to quantify my fritterish thoughts. It'd really be a big help if someone would be able to help.

if my description is too ridiculous to follow you can see what I'm talking about at this link;
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=268446297904859913
at the 12.00 minute mark.

amabo te :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't read too deep into it, heh. You'll notice that the cosine and sine notations turn into flat lines, when their respective values are 0, and are completely spread out when their respective values are 1.

Really though, don't stress it. As long as you understand the axial projections of circular motion are rcos(wt) and rsin(wt), you're good to go. Have fun with SHM. :)

Well, the words "sin wt" and "cos wt" turning upside down (I wondered about that until is looked at the clip) is just cute graphics. It does have some meaning though- each is upside down when its value is negative. If you were to draw graphs of y= sin(wx) and y= cos(wx) you would see the same shape with one "trailing behind"- when cos(wx) is 1, sin(wx) is 0, as cos(x) drops to 0, sin(x) rises to one, as cos(x) drops to -1, sin(x) drops to 0, etc. That is because \(\displaystyle sin^2(x)+ cos^2(x)= 1\) for all x. And, of course, that is why sine and cosin can be used as x and y components of a vector equations for a circle. If x= cos(wt) and y= sin(wt) then [itex]cos^2(wt)+ sin^2(wt)= x^2+ y^2= 1[/math], the equation of a circle with center at (0,0) and radius 1.

FAQ: Circular motion vector question

1. What is circular motion?

Circular motion is a type of motion where an object moves along a circular path at a constant speed. This motion is characterized by a change in direction but a constant magnitude of velocity.

2. How is circular motion different from linear motion?

Circular motion involves the motion of an object along a circular path, while linear motion involves the motion of an object along a straight line. In circular motion, the direction of the object's velocity is constantly changing, whereas in linear motion, the direction remains the same.

3. What is a vector in circular motion?

A vector in circular motion is a quantity that has both magnitude and direction. In circular motion, the velocity and acceleration of an object are both vectors, as they have a direction and a magnitude.

4. How do you calculate the direction of a circular motion vector?

The direction of a circular motion vector can be calculated using the right-hand rule. Point your right-hand fingers in the direction of the rotation, and your thumb will point in the direction of the vector.

5. What is centripetal acceleration in circular motion?

Centripetal acceleration is the acceleration of an object towards the center of the circular path. It is always directed towards the center and is responsible for keeping the object moving along the circular path.

Back