Circular Motion with Decreasing Radius

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between tangential speed and radius in a circular motion scenario. The proof shows that the centripetal force is equal to the tangential force, and when the radius is halved, the tangential speed must also be halved in order to maintain this equality. The attempt to double the tangential speed by decreasing the radius and increasing the speed is proven to be incorrect. The correct relationship is that the new tangential speed is half the original speed when the radius is halved.
uSee2
Homework Statement
One end of a string is attached to a ball, with the other end held by a student such that the ball is swung in a horizontal circular path of radius R at a constant tangential speed. At a later time, the tension force exerted on the ball remains constant, but the length of the string is decreased to R/4. What is the new tangential speed of the ball?
Relevant Equations
##F_c = \frac {mv^2} R##
The answer key states that the new tangential speed is half the original speed. However, this isn't correct right? It should double.

My proof:

##F_c = \frac {mv^2} R##
##F_c = F_t##
##\frac {mv^2} {\frac R 4} = \frac {m(2v)^2} R## If centripetal force were to stay constant.
As such, tangential velocity should double right? It should not half?

Physics news on Phys.org
Your logic is faulty. The centripetal force is, as you say, ##F_c =\frac{mv^2}{R}.## For the fraction to remain constant, if the denominator is decreased by a factor of 4, the numerator must also decrease by a factor of 4. Since the speed in the numerator is squared (##v^2=v*v##), each of the v's must decrease by a factor of 2 when the radius is decreased by a factor of 4.

Likes uSee2, scottdave and topsquark
kuruman said:
Your logic is faulty. The centripetal force is, as you say, ##F_c =\frac{mv^2}{R}.## For the fraction to remain constant, if the denominator is decreased by a factor of 4, the numerator must also decrease by a factor of 4. Since the speed in the numerator is squared (##v^2=v*v##) each of the v's must decrease by a factor of 2 when the radius is decreased by a factor of 4.
But couldn't the denominator decrease and the numerator increase instead and give the same ratio?

##\frac {mv^2} {\frac R 4} * \frac 4 4 = \frac {4mv^2} R##
Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?

uSee2 said:
But couldn't the denominator decrease and the numerator increase instead and give the same ratio?

Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?
Try using two different symbols for the first velocity and the second velocity.

$$\frac {mv_1^2} {R} = \frac {mv_2^2} {\frac R 4}$$

Well I cannot get my Latex to display correctly, but try it on your own.

Last edited:
Likes uSee2 and TSny
uSee2 said:
No. The new ratio must be the same as the old ratio.
Old ratio = ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
New ratio (according to you) = ##\frac{m(2v)^2}{R}.##

Are they the same?

Likes uSee2
uSee2 said:

Then it is equal to
##\frac {m(2v)^2} R##
Isn't this true?
Yes, and that is exactly what the answer key says. The new tangential speed, v, is half the original, 2v.

Likes uSee2
haruspex said:
Yes, and that is exactly what the answer key says. The new tangential speed, v, is half the original, 2v.
kuruman said:
No. The new ratio must be the same as the old ratio.
Old ratio = ##\frac{mv^2}{R}##.
New ratio (according to you) = ##\frac{m(2v)^2}{R}.##

Are they the same?
I do see that they aren't the same. But when I tried it again with different symbols just like @scottdave said:

2 is after the label for when radius is reduced, 1 is the label for before.

##F_{c2} = \frac {mv_2^2} {R_2}##

##F_{c1} = \frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}##

##F_{c1} = F_{c2}##

##R_2 = \frac 1 4 {R_1}##

##\frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}= \frac {mv_2^2} {R_2}##

##\frac {mv_1^2} {R_1}= \frac {mv_2^2} {\frac 1 4 R_1}## Substitution of ##R_2 = \frac 1 4 {R_1}##

Multiply each side by ##\frac {R_1} {m}##

##\frac {v_2^2} {\frac 1 4} = v_1^2##

##v_2^2 = 4v_1^2##

Take the square root of each side

##v_2 = 2v_1##

The new speed is double the original speed I think, I may have made an error though.

uSee2 said:
##\frac {v_2^2} {\frac 1 4} = v_1^2##

##v_2^2 = 4v_1^2##
Check how you went from the first equation to the second equation.

Likes scottdave and uSee2
TSny said:
Check how you went from the first equation to the second equation.
Ohh!! I can't believe I made that mistake. Thank you so much for catching that. I see now that ##v_2 = \frac 1 2 v_1##

Likes scottdave

Related to Circular Motion with Decreasing Radius

What is circular motion with decreasing radius?

Circular motion with decreasing radius refers to the motion of an object that moves along a circular path while the radius of the path gradually gets smaller. This can occur in various physical systems, such as a satellite spiraling towards a planet or an object moving in a spiral trajectory.

What causes the radius to decrease in circular motion?

The radius in circular motion can decrease due to several factors, including external forces like gravity, friction, or air resistance. For example, in the case of a satellite, gravitational forces can cause it to spiral inward. In mechanical systems, frictional forces can reduce kinetic energy, causing the radius to shrink.

How does the velocity change in circular motion with decreasing radius?

As the radius decreases, the velocity of the object can change depending on the conservation of angular momentum. If no external torque acts on the system, the angular momentum remains constant, leading to an increase in tangential velocity as the radius decreases. Conversely, if external forces are present, they can alter the velocity in more complex ways.

What are the equations governing circular motion with decreasing radius?

The primary equations involve the conservation of angular momentum (L = mvr) and centripetal force (F = mv²/r). Additionally, differential equations may be used to describe the rate of change of the radius over time, often incorporating factors like friction or gravitational forces. Specific equations depend on the exact nature of the forces involved.

Can you provide a real-world example of circular motion with decreasing radius?

A real-world example of circular motion with decreasing radius is a satellite gradually spiraling towards Earth due to atmospheric drag. As the satellite encounters air resistance, its orbital energy decreases, causing it to move to lower altitudes and thus reducing its orbital radius until it eventually re-enters the atmosphere.