Circumference C of a circle of radius R inscribed on a sphere

In summary, the problem involves finding the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere using spherical polar coordinates. The resulting inequality is that C<2πR, where C is the circumference and R is the radius of the sphere. The attempt at a solution used the formula C=2πR√(1-R^2/4r^2) and concluded that the equality is correct only when r>R. However, since the radius of the sphere is not given, the result is uncertain.
rbwang1225

Homework Statement

By employing spherical polar coordinates show that the circumference C of a circle of radius R inscribed on a sphere [itex]S^{2}[/itex] obeys the inequality C<2[itex]\pi[/itex]R

The Attempt at a Solution

I proved C=2[itex]\pi[/itex]R[itex]\sqrt{1-\frac{R^2}{4r^2}}[/itex]

So if r>R, then the equality is correct.

Am I right? Since the statement of the problem doesn't give me the radius r of the sphere, I doubt my result.

Physics news on Phys.org
you mean something like:
use spherical-polar and put the z axis through the center of the circle.
the circle will be a line of constant θ from the z-axis.
for a sphere radius R, the radius of the circle is r = Rθ, but the circumference is C=2πR.sinθ < 2πr.

eg - biggest circle is a grand circle, r=R, θ=π/2, so C=2πR < 2πr=ππR
the only time you get close is for θ → 0 (small circle).

Related to Circumference C of a circle of radius R inscribed on a sphere

1. What is the formula for calculating the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere?

The formula for the circumference C of a circle inscribed on a sphere with radius R is C = 2πR.

2. How is the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere related to its diameter?

The diameter of a circle inscribed on a sphere is equal to the radius of the sphere, and therefore, the circumference is equal to the diameter multiplied by π (C = πd).

3. How does the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere change as the radius of the sphere increases?

As the radius of the sphere increases, the circumference of the circle inscribed on it also increases. This is because the circumference is directly proportional to the radius, according to the formula C = 2πR.

4. Can the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere ever be greater than the circumference of the sphere itself?

No, the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere can never be greater than the circumference of the sphere. This is because the circumference of the circle is always contained within the circumference of the sphere.

5. Is there a real-world application for calculating the circumference of a circle inscribed on a sphere?

Yes, the concept of a circle inscribed on a sphere is often used in geographical calculations, such as determining the circumference of the Earth or the distance between two points on a globe.

Back