Citing a source for a value in a lab report

In summary: I was able to find the index of refraction of air and cite it properly. Precisely the book i managed to find buried in my lab. It is a great source but it's out of date and has errors, but I was able to find the index of refraction of air and cite it properly.
Liquidxlax

Homework Statement

I wasn't sure what section to post this in, but for my honors lab, i need to cite sources on values or theories that i include in my lab report like normal. Yet I'm having trouble finding a decent source for the speed of light and the index of refraction of air.

I thought to use that nist experiment laboratory, but i have not luck in finding said values.

I do have the

Symbols, Units, Nomenclature and fundamental constants in physics, 1987 revision which has the speed of light stated in it, but I'm not sure if the source is to old and unfortunately it's written in such a way that I'm not sure how to cite it.

I would really appreciate some help in finding up to date and quality sources for the index of refraction of air and the speed of light.

thanks in advance :)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
Liquidxlax said:

Homework Statement

I wasn't sure what section to post this in, but for my honors lab, i need to cite sources on values or theories that i include in my lab report like normal. Yet I'm having trouble finding a decent source for the speed of light and the index of refraction of air.

I thought to use that nist experiment laboratory, but i have not luck in finding said values.

Really? I just Googled "NIST physical constants", and then on the page that was the first Google hit, I selected "Universal" from the list of available categories.

http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?c|search_for=universal_in!

I hope this helps you in future searches for such things.

cepheid said:
Really? I just Googled "NIST physical constants", and then on the page that was the first Google hit, I selected "Universal" from the list of available categories.

http://physics.nist.gov/cgi-bin/cuu/Value?c|search_for=universal_in!

I hope this helps you in future searches for such things.

lol i found that 2 minutes after i posted this thread, but I'm still having no luck finding a source for the index of refraction of air. Which i did not find on the site that you posted.

Liquidxlax said:
lol i found that 2 minutes after i posted this thread, but I'm still having no luck finding a source for the index of refraction of air. Which i did not find on the site that you posted.

I suppose it depends on how rigourous a source you want. My optics textbook has a table of refractive indices of various substances, although it does not say where it got them from.

You'll see copies of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (a huge tome) in most laboratories, and so I thought to look it up there:

http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/

The book definitely has the info, but I guess ordinary users don't have access to the online version of the book. I'm able to access it when I connect via my University proxy server. See if you can do the same or if you can find a physical copy of the book lying around.

cepheid said:
I suppose it depends on how rigourous a source you want. My optics textbook has a table of refractive indices of various substances, although it does not say where it got them from.

You'll see copies of the CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics (a huge tome) in most laboratories, and so I thought to look it up there:

http://www.hbcpnetbase.com/

The book definitely has the info, but I guess ordinary users don't have access to the online version of the book. I'm able to access it when I connect via my University proxy server. See if you can do the same or if you can find a physical copy of the book lying around.

Precisely the book i managed to find buried in my lab. It is a great source

Related to Citing a source for a value in a lab report

1. How do I properly cite a source for a value in my lab report?

In order to properly cite a source for a value in your lab report, you will need to include the author's last name, the year the source was published, and the page number where the information was found. This information can be included within parentheses at the end of the sentence where the value is mentioned, or in a footnote at the bottom of the page.

2. What should I do if I am unsure of the source for a value in my lab report?

If you are unsure of the source for a value in your lab report, it is always best to err on the side of caution and include a citation. You can also consult with your lab instructor or do additional research to determine the source of the information.

3. Do I need to include a citation for every value in my lab report?

Yes, it is important to include a citation for every value in your lab report, unless it is common knowledge or considered to be a well-known fact. This helps to give credit to the original source and also allows readers to verify the information if needed.

4. Can I use a website as a source for a value in my lab report?

Yes, you can use a website as a source for a value in your lab report. However, it is important to ensure that the website is reputable and that the information is accurate. You should also include the URL and the date accessed in your citation.

5. What citation style should I use for my lab report?

The citation style you use for your lab report may vary depending on your field of study or the preference of your instructor. Some common citation styles used in science include APA, MLA, and Chicago. It is important to verify which style is required for your lab report and follow the guidelines accordingly.