Civil engineering - manning's equation through channel

Your Name]In summary, the conversation discusses the use of Manning's equation in civil engineering to determine if a channel can handle a certain depth of water. The equation involves calculating the hydraulic radius, which is the cross-sectional flow area divided by the wetted perimeter. The given parameters of slope, flow, and n value are also needed to calculate the velocity of the water. If the velocity is within the acceptable range, the channel can handle the depth of water. Otherwise, it may overflow.
Dawei
civil engineering -- manning's equation through channel

Homework Statement

I'm given the slope S, the flow Q, the n value, and the diameter of the pipe. I am asked if the channel can handle a certain depth D of water.

Homework Equations

V = (1/n)*R^(2/3) x S^(1/2)

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't understand what I need to do. R is the hydraulic depth which is defined as the cross sectional flow divided by the wetted perimeter. Do I use the depth in question, D, and convert this into a hydraulic radius? How? I don't know how to calculate the area of a circle filled to just above half of its radius...

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you are trying to use Manning's equation to determine if a channel can handle a certain depth of water. Manning's equation is commonly used in civil engineering to calculate the flow of water in open channels, such as rivers or pipes.

To answer your question, yes, you will need to use the depth in question, D, and convert it into a hydraulic radius. This can be done using the formula for the area of a circle (πr^2), where r is the radius of the pipe. However, in this case, the radius will not be the full radius of the pipe, but rather the hydraulic radius, which is defined as the cross-sectional flow area divided by the wetted perimeter. The wetted perimeter is the perimeter of the pipe that is in contact with the water.

Once you have calculated the hydraulic radius, you can plug it into Manning's equation along with the other given parameters (slope, flow, and n value) to determine the velocity of the water. If the velocity is within the acceptable range for the channel, then it can handle the given depth of water. If the velocity is too high, then the channel may not be able to handle the depth and could potentially overflow.

I hope this helps to clarify the steps you need to take to solve this problem. If you need further assistance, please don't hesitate to ask. Keep up the good work in your studies!

FAQ: Civil engineering - manning's equation through channel

What is Manning's equation and how is it used in Civil Engineering?

Manning's equation is an empirical formula used to calculate the average velocity of water flowing through a channel. It is commonly used in Civil Engineering to design and analyze open channel flow systems, such as rivers, canals, and stormwater drains.

What are the variables in Manning's equation and what do they represent?

The variables in Manning's equation are the cross-sectional area of the channel, the hydraulic radius (ratio of cross-sectional area to wetted perimeter), the slope of the channel, and the Manning's roughness coefficient. These variables represent the physical characteristics of the channel, such as its size, shape, and roughness, and the slope or gradient of the channel.

How is Manning's roughness coefficient determined for a channel?

Manning's roughness coefficient, also known as "n", is a measure of the channel's resistance to flow. It takes into account the roughness of the channel's walls and bed, as well as any obstructions or vegetation present. It can be determined through laboratory experiments, field measurements, or by using tables and charts based on the type of material and condition of the channel.

What are the limitations of Manning's equation?

While Manning's equation is a widely used and accepted method for calculating flow in open channels, it does have some limitations. It assumes uniform flow (constant velocity and depth) and does not account for changes in channel geometry or non-uniform flow conditions. It also does not take into account the effects of turbulence or other complex flow phenomena.

How is Manning's equation applied in practical Civil Engineering projects?

Manning's equation is used in a variety of Civil Engineering projects, such as designing and analyzing stormwater management systems, determining flood levels and potential impacts, and designing irrigation systems. It is also used in the construction of canals, culverts, and other open channels to ensure proper flow and prevent erosion or other issues.

Back