Civil Engineering Personal Projects

In summary, the conversation revolved around a student seeking advice on what personal project to pursue in order to meet the requirements for a job placement program for engineering students. Suggestions were made, such as designing/building a shed or studying the efficiency of leach fields, but the student expressed difficulty in finding a project that relates to civil engineering. It was also mentioned that many civil engineers have an interest in Earth science, which could be a good starting point for a personal project. The student also mentioned reaching out to the presenter of the program for clarification on what other applicants are listing as their personal projects.
lastguymade
Hello!

So here is the deal. I went to a meeting on Industrial Experience job placement for engineering students where it's kind of like a co-op, they help you find internships in your field for summer work.

Anyways I know there is no way I can get in this year because one of the requirements was personal projects related to your field (Civil Engineering for me). I realized I have no personal projects related to my field! Then I thought about it and realized, what kind of personal projects does a civil engineering student have?

So I came here to ask. What would you recommend for me to pursue as a personal project? I really want to get into this program next year so starting now is good. I was thinking about maybe learning how to program but that doesn't really relate to civil engineering. I need something that I can do in the heart of a thriving downtown and that doesn't break my bank.

All suggestions greatly appreciated!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Design/Build a shed
Study the efficiency of leach fields with different mediums.

Honestly the best experience for most civil engineers is construction work / highway dept. work / etc. Is it really a requirement? You should ask what some of the other applicants are listing as "personal projects"

Yes it is a requirement the presenter even said they wouldn't even consider applicants without a personal project.

I like the shed idea but unfortunately I live in a small apartment so this would be impossible, maybe this summer when I go home that would work. I'll check out your other ideas. Thanks!

Also I did email the presenter with that very question but no reply yet.

Edit: I guess I could design the shed though, I'll look into that too.

You are going (hopefully) to become a civil engineer.

Many civil engineers have some aspect of Earth science as their (lifelong) hobby

Something related to this would make a good personal project.

Eg Find out about the type and nature of soils local to your neighbourhood.

What is their bearing capacity
Where is the local water table
What happens if you dig a hole - does it require side support -at what depth does it begin to fill with water and so on.

go well

oooh, yea that's a good one too, Studiot. Soils are huge.

Related to Civil Engineering Personal Projects

1. What is the purpose of a personal project in civil engineering?

A personal project in civil engineering allows individuals to apply their skills and knowledge in a practical and hands-on manner. It also allows for the exploration of new ideas and techniques outside of traditional academic or professional projects.

2. How do I choose a topic for my personal project in civil engineering?

Choosing a topic for a personal project in civil engineering can involve identifying a problem or challenge within the field that you are passionate about. You can also consider exploring a new area of civil engineering that you are interested in learning more about.

3. What are some examples of personal projects in civil engineering?

Some examples of personal projects in civil engineering include designing and building a small-scale structure such as a bridge or a drainage system, conducting research on a specific material or construction method, or creating a computer simulation of a civil engineering project.

4. How do I manage and document my progress during a personal project in civil engineering?

It is important to keep a detailed record of your progress during a personal project in civil engineering. This can include creating a project plan, documenting any changes or challenges faced, and keeping track of time and resources used. Using project management tools and software can also help with organization and tracking progress.

5. How can I showcase my personal project in civil engineering to potential employers?

Showcasing your personal project in civil engineering can be done through various means such as creating a portfolio, presenting at conferences or job fairs, and including it in your resume or cover letter. It is also helpful to have visual aids such as photos, videos, or design plans to demonstrate your project to potential employers.