Civil Engineering: Thickness of roadbase

In summary, the person is seeking help with a tutorial question regarding determining the thickness of a roadbase on top of sand to hold a 7tonne rig. They are looking for guidance on a method to solve the problem.
qnline
Hi All,

I got this tute question that I need help with.

I need to determine the thickness of a roadbase (can be anything from crushed concrete or crushed sandstone) on top of sand to withhold a 7tonne rig (350kpa).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Physics news on Phys.org
qnline said:
Hi All,

I got this tute question that I need help with.

I need to determine the thickness of a roadbase (can be anything from crushed concrete or crushed sandstone) on top of sand to withhold a 7tonne rig (350kpa).

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thank you!

Welcome to the PF.

What's a tute?

berkeman said:
Welcome to the PF.

What's a tute?

Thank you!

Tutorial (tute) Question.

Can you guide me through a method please?

Cheers

FAQ: Civil Engineering: Thickness of roadbase

What is the purpose of road base in civil engineering?

Road base is a layer of compacted material that is placed on top of the subgrade to provide a stable foundation for the pavement. It helps to distribute the load of vehicles and prevent the pavement from cracking or sinking.

What factors determine the thickness of road base?

The thickness of road base is determined by factors such as the type and volume of traffic, the soil conditions, and the climate. A heavier volume of traffic or poor soil conditions may require a thicker road base to ensure stability.

What materials are commonly used for road base?

The most commonly used materials for road base are crushed stone, gravel, and sand. These materials are compacted to create a strong and stable layer that can withstand heavy loads.

What are the consequences of not having an adequate road base thickness?

If the road base is not thick enough, it can result in premature pavement failure, such as cracking, rutting, or potholes. This can lead to costly repairs and maintenance, as well as safety hazards for drivers.

How is the thickness of road base determined?

The thickness of road base is determined by conducting soil tests and analyzing the expected traffic load. Engineers use design manuals and software to calculate the appropriate thickness based on these factors.

Back